Running an amp down to 2 ohms

Rich

Guys n gals

My comments about them being the same as the RMX series were only cosmetic simarlarities (SP??)

The rear of the EP series is exactly the same as the RMX series.

2p in the pot

The whole case is very similar (I'm told both companies use the same OEM manufacturer) but if you open the lid, the electronics are VERY noticeably different.

I've seen/heard EP series amps down to 2 ohms but I'm not so sure I consider this a good idea even for amps with this as a minimum rating...I've got to think you're shortening the useful life...just like constantly driving a car just below the red line tach setting.

Bob

Another vote for the EP2500 for 2ohms on top.

I run 2 of these at 2ohms for my B rig on the top. although I use 4 at 4ohms on the bottom as they do tend to (as has been mentioned) get a bit tired and a bit warm if you're really pushing them with bottom end.

I run PLX3402's at 2ohms regularly on low mid work without problems.and have on occasion with full range and they work fine there too.

I run Powersoft DIGAM7000's and 5000's at 2ohms occasionally without ANY issues.. these are on thge bottom end aswell

Crest CA series (particularly the big ones CA18 and CA 12) these all work fine all day and night at 2ohms.

Matrix ukp2100 are not even rated for 2 ohms but I ran one a couple of weeks back at this in an emergancy and it kept up really well. and sounded the same. So it just shows. some manufacturers dont rate their amps at 2ohms and yet they are perfectly stable at this. some DO rate them at 2ohms and they are clearly not useable.

I'm not really a 2ohm/4ohm bridged fan for bass and sub bass but my Crest and Powersoft amps handle it without problem when they need to.

Rob

Hi guys

Sorry I've not got back to you, I've been away for Christmas, hope you all had a good one.

Right so lots of confidence in the Behringer amps then, thank you for your comments. I'd kind of ruled out budget amps because I thought they wouldn't be able to hack it but I'm pleased to see that I'm wrong.

If the Behringer is capable do you think the T. Amp Proline range will be? Somebody mentioned that the power supplies in some amps are not able to keep up when run down to two ohms, as the amp is about 37Kg can we assume that the power supply is more robust in this amp?

Take a look at the T.Amp Proline here

Cheers folks

Rich

I think the QSC / Behringer similarity question arose a few years ago, when (allegedly) a perspex lidded Behringer amp was withdrawn from display at a trade show when the QSC rep sawone of their PCBs inside it..... ;-)

One thing to note - conventionally, the 2 Ohm power rating is stated at a higher THD level (about 1% from memory) whereas the 4 / 8 Ohm rating is at 0.1 or 0.01% etc. Most amps have increased THD as they approach maximum power, but as transistors approach the limits of their safe operating area, and the power supply reaches its limit, you have to accept that running the amp at 2 Ohms will not deliver as high a quality.

Simon

I think the QSC / Behringer similarity question arose a few years ago, when (allegedly) a perspex lidded Behringer amp was withdrawn from display at a trade show when the QSC rep sawone of their PCBs inside it..... ;-)

Simon

Allegedly is the word. I used to have actual photos I could post, alas on a now defunct PC, that showed the innards of the Behringer and the QSC are totally different. QSC have even stated that they have no problem with the Behringer models...the similarity in the case stemming from the fact that the cases are built by the same OEM manufacturer.

If you do a little digging, you will discover that the vast majority of "Behringer rip off" stories are, in fact, urban myths. I'm up to my eyebrows in panto for the next couple of weeks, but if you do some usenet searchs on "Behringer" and "George Perfect" you'll find lots of posts by a guy who looked in detail at the situation and debunks/explains these myths. Even the much vaunted Mackie lawsuit is far from clear cut in Wackie's favour...

Bob

Archived