Running an amp down to 2 ohms

Rich

Hi Folks.

I've got some time off over Christmas, so I thought I'd make use of the 18 JBL drivers I've just acquired :unsure: and build some new boxes. However after settling on a design I've realised that my humble rack of T. Amps isn't going to be able to drive more than one top per side.

So I've two options, one is to rig two sets of two drivers in parallel wired together in series (knocking me back to about 175w per driver) or look for some new amps which will run down to 2 ohms.

Now I know you can safely run Labs, Camcos and Macrotecs down to 2, but which other amps are "road proven" to be capable of a two ohm load. I ask this because even a Numark Dimension claims to be capable of running down to 2 ohms, and I would know not expect it to be stable under these conditions.

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Many thanks. Rich

I have used my QSC RMX series at 2 Ohms ... fine for tops but they get a little warm on the subs. I wouldnt suggest running them at full tilt on the subs if your using them at 2 ohms.

Maybe one to look at if you are on a budget is the Behringer EP series - they look to be very similar to the QSC RMX range.

Regards

Chris :unsure:

The specs on the amps will say if the amp is two ohm stable, (meaning the amps not bothered if you run it into two ohms) but often these amps wont sound good into a 2 Ohm load ussually because the power supply isnt big enough to cope with the extra load.

Someone mentioned the QSC RMX series, if you look at the model names for these then you will notice that some of them have HD at the end, these models have their power supplies big enough to run and sound good into two ohm. Somebody also mention that the Europowers are the same as QSC RMX series, I can assure you this is not true, the QSC's are far superior to the Behringers, Ive heard both next to each other on the same speakers, they two amps had almost identical output power ratings put the sound out of the QSC was far better, the two amps do look very similar because they are built around the same chassis but the electronics are tottally different.

Mark

I must admit that I was also led to believe the two were very similar. Not that it matters, as that wasn't one of my reasons for purchasing them. I've seen a couple of pictures of the two side-by-side with the covers removed and the internal layout and electronics do look strikingly similar.

The rear of the EP series is exactly the same as the RMX series.

Oh, I don't know...

The power connector is upside down on the behringer... <_<

Dave

(Too keep it on topic: I have used most of the plx series at around 2 ohms. They were great (not as good as a pl or macrotech, but they wouldn't be, would they?)

Oh, I don't know...

The power connector is upside down on the behringer... <_<

Believe it or not, having the power connector upside down is actually pretty annoying - I had a bit of an issue as I wanted to mount a vent panel on the back of my EP2500 rack behind the amps, I bought some angled IEC connectors and it turns out that the cable exits into the side of the rack. I'm stuck using the standard cables and as such I can't fit a vent panel onto the rear of the rack, as it simply isn't deep enough.

I bought some angled IEC connectors and it turns out that the cable exits into the side of the rack.
What about the octagonal Bulgin ones, the insert is separate to the housing, and you can put it in one of eight positions (surprise, surprise). I know they do the plugs, and I presume they do a socket version too, CPC had some when I was looking for standard IEC's the other day.

HTH

PN

Why not just open it up...

I didn't think about that at the time, although having now wired the racks up and neatly tied down all the cables I'm not sure I really fancy removing anything from it. However, I will take a look for some of those octagonal sockets, thanks Peter.

I have recently had a similar problem . I solved it by buying new amplifiers (4 x mackie M1400) . I have 2 EP2500 which don't quite deliver the bottom end grunt that the Mackies do and have now been relegated to backups . I was going to use them on mids but the RMX 2450 is just so much better . Have you tried the LD Systems PA1600X it gives 1100w per side into 4ohms . I have run amps at 2 ohms before and there is a real drop off in sound quality not to mention they can get very hot especially when driving subs . I use the M1400's just to drive subs , they are bridged into 4ohms and seem to be quite happy .

Archived