Gel Strings

andy jackson

Hi Everyone,

After years of over use and abuse I am finaly getting round to replacing the gel strings on our scrollers, although I have coped so far with the colours that are in they all seem to be very panto, I believe on the rainbow 8'' you can have upto 32 different colours, the question is which ones?

Obviously there need to be some heavily saturated colours and then the more standard straw and steel plus o/w,

Has any one got any suggestions which order I should put them in? or is it a gase of grouping and graduating them from one end to the other.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Also does anyone know of a product code / supplier for the heat proof clear tape you use to stick the bits toegther with?

Cheers

Andy

Which colours to pick rather depends on what sort of shows and events the gear's going to be used on, and to a great extent on your personal taste in colour.

What order to put them in? Well, that's a $64,000 question! There's no 'right' or 'wrong' order - whatever works for you is good. You might want to put all the warm colours together and all the cold colours together. You might want it in spectral order. You might want all the saturates together and all the tints together. You might want similar colours grouped together or you might want to be able to 'bump' between contrasting colours in adjacent frames. See what I mean? :o

In a theatre, I find you rarely want to bump between colours, however I have found that if you do, you usually want to bump between saturated warm (ie red) and saturated cold (ie blue), so my gel strings usually go

Unsaturated warm 1 -> Saturated warm 1 (reds)

Saturated cold 1-> Unsaturated cold 1 (blues)

Unsaturated warm 2 -> Saturated warm 2 (yellows/oranges)

Staturated cold 2 -> Unsaturated cold 2 (purplies)

Other Usefull colours

we have just bought some apollo 5.25 16 frame scrollers and although we are only a small venue we have every thing in that we use in our standard rig for example :

1. ow
  2. straw
  3. golden amber
  4. apricot
  5. flesh pink
  6. lilac
  7. ct blue
  8. summer blue
  9. AND ANOTHER COLOUR SORRY KNAPS LET YA DOWN ** laughs out loud **!!
  10. yellow
  11. orange
  12. primary red
  13. pink
  14. magenta
  15. medium blue
  16. CONGO

And that generally sees us through everything!!

Cheers oli!!

:stagecrew:

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone here seems to be sticking to 15/16 colours. I have some of the rainbow 8'' scrollers and the maual says that up to 33 can be used, am I getting something wrong or is it jusr coincidence that you are all using half of the capability - im also aware that some of you are using apollo which only allow 16,

Cheers

I have also nearly finalised my colours, putting o/w in the middle then warms off to one side and cool on the other. good idea?

Andy

1. ow

2. straw...

...15. medium blue

16. CONGO

1o/w

2straw Lee013....

...14medium blue

15 Congo Blue

Quite a coincidence that, with the exception of the flesh pink, those two scrolls are the same colours in exactly the same order! Is that some sort of 'standard' scroll that comes with Apollo scrollers? (Bytecraft doesn't say what kind of scrollers he has, but Oli mentions Apollo ...)

Everyone here seems to be sticking to 15/16 colours. I have some of the rainbow 8'' scrollers and the maual says that up to 33 can be used, am I getting something wrong or is it jusr coincidence that you are all using half of the capability - im also aware that some of you are using apollo which only allow 16,

RainbowPro allows up to 33 colours (25 in the 15" and 8-lite versions of the unit) - but you don't have to have that many! You can have as few as two colours in the scroll if that's what you want to do. (I wonder whether anyone has ever specified a scroller for just two colours?! :))

I have also nearly finalised my colours, putting o/w in the middle then warms off to one side and cool on the other. good idea?

It's as valid as any other idea! I used to work at a major opera house, and the standard scrolls in the rig followed exactly that format - open white in the centre, then 203 through to dark blue in one direction, and 206 thru to a dark amber in the other direction. It worked perfectly well for servicing the lighting needs of some of the world's best lighting designers, lighting six major operas every year :).

RainbowPro allows up to 33 colours (25 in the 15" and 8-lite versions of the unit) - but you don't have to have that many! You can have as few as two colours in the scroll if that's what you want to do. (I wonder whether anyone has ever specified a scroller for just two colours?! :))

I have! The colour choice was almost as strange... O/W & 3 stop ND!

All because the producer decided we needed to kill the spill from the video projector when it wasn't actually projecting.

Glyn :)

1. ow

2. straw...

...15. medium blue

16. CONGO

1o/w

2straw Lee013...

...14medium blue

15 Congo Blue

Quite a coincidence that, with the exception of the flesh pink, those two scrolls are the same colours in exactly the same order! Is that some sort of 'standard' scroll that comes with Apollo scrollers? (Bytecraft doesn't say what kind of scrollers he has, but Oli mentions Apollo ...)

This is not a standard scroll but made up by us as the most comon colours used throughout the year OW - Play colours - Rock n roll colours. Have just used these in our panto of aladdin and colours have worked well the only down side is that we have used a scale when making the scrolls and chases arent as nice as they good be but still v.good.

oli

;)

Mods : quotes fixed.

This is not a standard scroll but made up by us as the most comon colours used throughout the year

Fair enough! I just found it really bizarre that two people (on opposite sides of the world!) ended up with scrolls that contained not only the same colours (except for one which is missing from one of the scrolls) but in exactly the same order! ;)

Archived