Safety Bonds and School

Matt

hmmmm... just like to say I am 17 and work at my school as a part time technician. I am trained in the usual run of the mill safety stuff, like how to construct a tower safely, how to use ladders etc...

...and quite ironically the use of safety chains on lights, but we dont actually have any, which aint good, the thing is, the first people to be blamed would be us the technicians for not rigging it correctly, when it is actually the schools responsibility for supplying us with the chains so we CAN rig it safely

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...and quite ironically the use of safety chains on lights, but we dont actually have any, which aint good, the thing is, the first people to be blamed would be us the technicians for not rigging it correctly, when it is actually the schools responsibility for supplying us with the chains so we CAN rig it safely

Matt,

This is a serious issue, and one which should be addressed before any more shows take place. It will be stipulated in your theatre licence that all fixtures should have a method of secondry suspension, and as such, you are breaking that agreement by opening to the public without safety bonds/chains. As a school, Health and Safety should be a priority, and you should talk to your teachers about this ASAP... take it above their heads if they object.

This is a serious issue, and one which should be addressed before any more shows take place.  It will be stipulated in your theatre licence that all fixtures should have a method of secondry suspension, and as such, you are breaking that agreement by opening to the public without safety bonds/chains. As a school, Health and Safety should be a priority, and you should talk to your teachers about this ASAP... take it above their heads if they object.

It might also be added that legality apart but MORALLY you're putting people's lives at risk needlessly. "Good Practice" in the Industry is there for a reason, and I would hope you would do what I would do in this situation - refuse the rig the lantern in question.

It's there for your safety as well as that of others.

Editp.

Regarding towers, I for one don't consider them "safe" in most circumstances. I prefer ladders 9 times out of 10. I feel safe on a ladder. I don't feel safe on a tower...

There's various reasons for this, which I've stated before here and on RATS, but for me "safe construction of a tower" is a potential contradiction in terms...

N.

WTF?!

The first thing I was ever taught was to safety chain/bond up your lanterns :)

Although a failure is very rare, this is no excuse for your school not to have them - in fact if they can afford to run a small theatre in their annual budget, they can afford to buy some safety bonds - no matter what they might say. If they want to use the theatre as a useful asset, it must be properly run!

Stage Electrics sell safety bonds for £3.51 (5kg) or £6.14 (10kg) or £7 (15kg).

http://www.stage-electrics.co.uk/webcat?2516

Your school have no excuse to buy something that is soooooo cheap! :P

So, the first thing to do tomorrow is go into school and slap down a request for 50 safety bonds! :o

And, following on from Peter's post - your school do have a public performance license?!

Stu

I know that, we have spoken to the head master about it, but he wont let us spend our funds on making it safe, we are just using cable ties atm, which I know cant hold that much, but he doesnt seem to care, he wants it to be turned into a performing arts college, we do have that status, god knows how though. they are just not willing to spend the funds we have on things like this. it takes us about 6 or seven months just to get a new bulb for a fresnel< because they wont let us spend the money!!!!!!!

it isnt fair that they are sacrificing the safety of the pupils, and our safet ty that fact, we have had a few incidents where lights have come down, but not anywhere near anyone, we have pointed it out, with letters to the head about H&S saying that these things are necessary and they are breaking the law without them...

... we are going to the limits of actually using our pay to buy chain from a hardware store and making them ourselves!!!!

it isnt fair that they are sacrificing the safety of the pupils, and our safet ty that fact, we have had a few incidents where lights have come down, but not anywhere near anyone, we have pointed it out, with letters to the head about H&S saying that these things are necessary and they are breaking the law without them...

You've actually had lighs come down? Are you sure this could have been stopped with a safety?

I think a plan of action is to completely stop what your doing NOW before anything happens which could leave you / your colleagues / your school in serious legal trouble.

Then go to the Headmaster - show him exactly how much it'll cost to buy a bond for each lantern, and also tell him this information about his 'Performing Arts College' is out in the public domain.

If this doesn't work, go to the Arts Council who I think fund the Performing Arts College - they wouldn't be happy to hear this at all - and you might be able to get them onto your side.

Also try the Board of Governors (if there is one) they definately won't want bad press towards the school.

Safety is paramount in the business, bar nothing!

... we are going to the limits of actually using our pay to buy chain from a hardware store and making them ourselves!!!!

Best to buy premade rated ones :o

Stu

I really think this matter is too serious for your head to ignore, and if he has had it in writing and ignored it then he is frakly a d :o :P :) head. I had issues with my head of drama at school over the use of a tallescope, and although these were eventually resolved, I know how difficult it is to get your school to understand. Anything that your school do that comprimises the safety of a pupil, member of staff or the public is both illegal and incredibly stupid. I don't know what your lantern stock is like, but can you imagine the effect of a Source4 falling on someone? Let alone a Cantata or Alto.

As I said before, I think you should make this matter known to higher bodies -

If your school runs a licenced public venue, I'm pretty sure that your local council would be very interested (speak to the Theatrical Licencing Officer)

Also, try the Health and Safety Executive. Not only are your school comprimising their employees safety, but also endangering members of the public. Your venue could be shut down for this.

You mention being paid by your school. I assume therefore that they provide all your personal safety equipment (Steelies)...(not wishing to go off topic - see here for that debate.)

Anyway, it is perhaps worth contacting the HSE off the record first, and finding out exactly what the situation is, before pressing the school furthur for safety bonds. I imagine your lantern stock wont be that large - 50 at maximum? So safety bonds may cost them £200... At the end of the day, if thats the price they put on the safety of their staff and pupils, you're in the wrong place!

And if things get really nasty, threaten to get on to the local press about it. Schools get funny about getting bad press coverage.

I would suggest that you write the head a letter, and CC it to the board of governors and maybe the PTA if you have one, explaining you worries and the rules that apply, include a rough cost for the purchase of the chains ( they should be bonds)

This can then absolve you of the liability if anything were to go wrong. It may make you a little unpopular, but you could point out that since you have brought this matter to the attention of your line manager he is then responsible, so if anyone was to be injured he could be sued personally, along with the school.

I wouldn't even bother using cable ties as safeties, they would snap if a lamp were to fall.

Where were the situations where you have already had something fall??

Richard

Where were the situations where you have already had something fall??

As bolts don't shear that often, I would assume that it's been due to them not being rigged properly, and then being knocked.

If you follow the logic, then school=>inexperienced people working there=>more potential for accidents (eg hook-clamp not being tightened onto bar)=>All the more need I.) for a stringent approach to Health & Safety, and ii.) to ensure that every possible safety feature is at your disposal (eg Safety Bonds).

If you end up in a face-to-face discussion with them, try pointing out (as calmly as possible - really no room for sarcasm here) that they wouldn't use a bunsen burner in a chemistry lab without a fire extinguisher to hand.

It will be stipulated in your theatre licence that all fixtures should have a method of secondry suspension, and as such, you are breaking that agreement by opening to the public without safety bonds/chains.

Is it mentioned specifically in the Theatre Licence? - not in any I've seen AFAIR. It's more of a LOLER H&S issue. But the issue remains nonetheless!

Schools do seem to live in in a world of their own, but that quite often is pressure from above(my mum is a teacher so I I have a tiny bit of sympathy). How ever this is appalling, I agree withe the previous speekers, but if all else fails do the right thing and stop working for/ with them. The experience and cash are usefull but do you want the guilt if something did happen.

But under UK H&S Law you can't just ignore things / walk away from them - you have a duty to do something - and in any case you have a moral duty. I'd contact both the licensing authority and the HSE - OK you might be shut down but at least nobody will have had a serious accident / died.

I was under the impression that schools, rightly or wrongly, fall outside the scope of local licencing, irrespective of public performances.

Pupils would probably falls outside the HSAW act, since they don't work there although staff would be covered by it.

They also have different rules for planning permission and building control.

Archived