Do Stage Managers get good pay for Panto?

Do stage managers get gd pay for panto ?

That depends entirely on the group doing the show!

Assuming do you mean Am-Dram panto, that is (as all pro shows most certainly would pay their SM and all crew).

There are some Am-Dram societies who pay the director, choreographer, MD and yes, some SM's a stipend for any particular show. This isn't the same as being paid a wage.

However, personally I believe it goes against the principle of amateur theatre for any participant to receive payment (other than normal out of pocket expenses) for something that they ostensibly are doing because they a) want to and b) enjoy doing. The same goes for paying musicians in the bands/orchestras for amateur shows - whilst there are some musos out there who may make their primary living from their playing talents, there are VERY few. Many of the rest just play for pocket money - I've spoken to quite a few over the years, and the number who said they'd happily play for nowt would surprise you.

This is likely to start a whole new aspect onto your question, so prepare for it to get hijacked!! :)

TD

That question is basically the same as "How long is a piece of string?"

Pro Panto you would be payed as your contract specifies - this is all dependant on the award/union you are a part of. It is just another show.

AmDram Panto is usually a big round number...

ZERO

So do SM's get payed for doing Panto's..... Maybe

Do stage managers get good pay for panto ?

Edit by Bryson: Good has two Os. And I fixed the multiple question marks/caps over enthusiasm, too. (With two Os.)

Perhaps Louis really wanted to know if SM's get God pay for panto.

I'm afraid the answer is that there is no praise, adoration or worship to be had.

Remuneration comes in different forms, at different times. If you need the money to live from then you cannot do freebies. Sometimes I do work FOC because the goodwill gained is worth that much or more, Sometimes I do work FOC for the emotional reward I feel when I wanted to contribute, but the work was worth more, and cost me less!

• 2 months later...

I do the amateur scene, and yes, you should do it for free, but generallt the MD, Producer & Choreographer get paid, and SM's in amdram are getting hard to find.

I did a show last year, and asked for £75 for the week (I never charge for parking etc) they were so glad thay paid me £150.

The last guy used to charge more, and they had no one else to do it.

What I do is spend whatever money I earn on tools, screws, etc as it is always mine that go missing.

paulymid

I do the amateur scene, and yes, you should do it for free, but generallt the MD, Producer & Choreographer get paid, and SM's in amdram are getting hard to find.

'Hu? If people are getting paid (ie a paid director) then it is semi-professional, or at least not true amdram. You also find that 9/10 times, when the shows run at a profit, that profit is used to partially finance the next show etc. Amdram is made up of people who love theatre as a hobyvolunteering their free time to make magic. As for hard to find - I find there is the opposite problem. I could get a willing SM no problems. The major problem is the lack of SKILLED SM's. A bit of training though, and they usually do a halfway decent job.

'Hu? If people are getting paid (ie a paid director) then it is semi-professional, or at least not true amdram.

LOLOL!! :rolleyes:

The practice of paying a statutory stipend to certain 'key' personnel on the UK am-dram circuit has been around for years, I'm afraid. Paul's correct - directors and choreographers getting a lump sum is common, but the one single group that seem to be able to get away time after time with the notion that you 'HAVE' to pay them or they don't turn out is the MD and musicians.

There are very few companies these days who produce half-decent musical shows that don't have to pay for the muso's. OK - they don't get paid MU rates very often, but it can certainly mount up into a big slice of an otherwise amateur budget.

And it's not as though they're always good as a band/orchestra. Don't get me wrong, I've heard some very good ensembles over the years, but it's more likely that the band put together for each production have maybe a couple of rehearsals max before tech and/or dress. Which would be fine if they were fully experienced pro muso's who make their living at picking up and playing off the cuff, but noooo.... most of these are music teachers, students and hobbyists out to line their pockets getting paid for what everyone else is doing for the buzz of performing.

Add to that the fact that they're usually 'engaged' until, say 10:00pm on a rehearsal - come 10:01 and they're gone - sod the fact that the tech is behind for whatever reason and there's still half of act 2 to run the musical changes for - they're either in their car or in the bar!

This is something that has galled me for the past 25 years and will likely continue to do so for many more to come!! :D

I know this is not the case with every society or band/orchestra, but in my long experience it has more often been the case than not. Unfortunately.

What is preferable, in my opinion, is for a society who feel that person X has done an exceptional job for them to make a one-off donation (unscripted) or give them a suitable gift (single malt always works for me!! ;)).

TD

Archived