Zero 88 Betapack 3 Not Working

bromley.tech

HI all,

I was wondering whether I could have some help with trying to get our schools Zero 88 Betapack 3 working.

We regularly use it, and its only now, days before our school show that channel 1 of one dimmer and channel 5 of another don't seem to be working. We've checked everything (or at least what I know of) to solve the problem. We've checked to see whether it's the light, but that works, we've checked the circuit, but that works, I've double checked my soft and hard patching, and that works, leaving only the dimmer. I don't know whether its a fuse thats gone, but I believe that is on a mini RCB. Is it fixable, or an internal problem for a professional to sort out?

Hope someone can help :-)

Aiden

Sometimes it can be as simple as having the wrong setting on the dimmerpack. As mentioned above, check the Topset of the affected channels is not set to 0 (should be 100...assuming you want to be able to reach 100% load).

Also, make sure they are patched on the dimmer correctly.

Best option yet, give Zero88 a call. They are good guys!

• 2 weeks later...
A betapack 3 I have has decided to have channel five and six effectively switch on and off. I have looked through the control modes and they are both on normal. I have also I think reset the unit but the channel stil goes to full at maybe 5% of DMX. Any ideas otherwise onto Zero 88

A betapack 3 I have has decided to have channel five and six effectively switch on and off. I have looked through the control modes and they are both on normal. I have also I think reset the unit but the channel stil goes to full at maybe 5% of DMX. Any ideas otherwise onto Zero 88

Triac!

It's either the 100k resistors or the opto-isolator in the sync circuit. Whilst you've got it open change the resistors in the sync circuit for channels 3 & 4 as well.

You're thinking of the older Betapack 1 & 2. The 3 has an altogether different arrangement - 3 separate mains transformers, 3 separate power supplies and a microcontroller for each pair of channels.

I've never seen this symptom but there is a 4M7 0.5W resistor in each sync circuit which might be to blame (R30 for channels 5 & 6). Also look for bulged electrolytic caps at that end of the board. You could also try swapping the microcontroller with the one next door (IC9 & 10) - they are on sockets.

Dave.

I've never seen this symptom but there is a 4M7 0.5W resistor in each sync circuit which might be to blame (R30 for channels 5 & 6).

Having said the above, a few days later and I have on the bench a Betapack 3 with exactly this symptom caused by... R30 open circuit!

Spooookyyy...

Dave

We have a betapack3 with channels 3&4 dead that I have been meaning to open for a while. Is R30 labelled on the board or do I need a service manual of some sort?

I'm fairly sure its not software set but I'll double check the topset first given the comments above.

• 1 year later...

I've still got this on the bench and finally opened this up today - only been there about 4 years. It's only channel 4 that won't light, Ch3 is okay in the end.

R29 is good, which is the 4M7 for chs 3&4. I've swapped the microcontroller with the one from ch1&2 but problem stays with 4. Tried the phone no above but late in the day now. Do you have any other suspicions?

Archived