Patching LC4212

Beckirk94

Trying to help out a friends band with a few extra lights but struggling to patch this desk! Just have a few cheap LED pars, I've gone into patch and set channel 1 to address 1, also tried a 1-1 patch and nothing seems to be working! The CH flash light is on and it's in preset mode. A + B + master are up… blackout button isn't on.. not sure what else to try, just picked up the desk and using a 5 to 3 pin adapter. The units and DMX are working with another desk so I know they're not the problem. Tearing my hair out a bit - any help appreciated!

Thanks

Edited by Beckirk94

Trying to help out a friends band with a few extra lights but struggling to patch this desk! Just have a few cheap LED pars, I've gone into patch and set channel 1 to address 1, also tried a 1-1 patch and nothing seems to be working! The CH flash light is on and it's in preset mode. A + B + master are up… blackout button isn't on.. not sure what else to try, just picked up the desk and using a 5 to 3 pin converter. The units and DMX are working with another desk so I know they're not the problem. Tearing my hair out a bit - any help appreciated!

Thanks

Have you tried reseting the desk, so you know where you're starting from?

Trying to help out a friends band with a few extra lights but struggling to patch this desk!

Thanks

Did they have other lights working on the desk. if so take one and use it to test the desk.

I assume you mean Eurolight LC-2412

Also did you get the desk 2nd hand. I know some times the socket on the desk can give bother and replacing it would fix some of the problems. As Gerry said are you sure the 5-3 adaptor works. I know I bought one before and it was wired for a old Avolite desk which was odd. The proper wire is 1-1 2-2 3-3 The one I had bough was wired 1-1 4-2 5-3.

Edited by dmxlights

I know I bought one before and it was wired for a old Avolite desk which was odd. The proper wire is 1-1 2-2 3-3 The one I had bough was wired 1-1 4-2 5-3.

Avo used to put out two universes of DMX on one 5-pin connector. The first was on pins 2+3 as you'd expect, and the second was on pins 4+5. (They shared the common ground on Pin 1)

There used to be Y-adaptors available that would break out into two separate XLRs.

The other thing to look out for is a polarity reverse. Some older DMX kit (especially Martin) needed pins 2+3 reversed, because they were designed to run a proprietary protocol and DMX was an afterthought.

I'm not sure about the LC-2412, but some consoles have a switch near the output XLR that flips the polarity. It causes chaos when someone accidentally nudges it.

Have you tried the analogue output? there is a 15pin D socket on the back that replicates ch 1 to 12 and the "special 1 and 2" keys.

I think its 0 to 10V output so a simple LED with a 1Kohm resistor should at least show the desk is doing something.

I’ll give that a try when I get home, thanks!

Trying to help out a friends band with a few extra lights but struggling to patch this desk!

Thanks

Did they have other lights working on the desk. if so take one and use it to test the desk.

Also did you get the desk 2nd hand. I know some times the socket on the desk can give bother and replacing it would fix some of the problems. As Gerry said are you sure the 5-3 adaptor works. I know I bought one before and it was wired for a old Avolite desk which was odd. The proper wire is 1-1 2-2 3-3 The one I had bough was wired 1-1 4-2 5-3.

Yeah sorry 2412 - brain frazzle!! It was second hand, I didn’t pick it up but I believe everything was working, I did think it might be the adapter, I’ll try a new one when I get home tonight - unfortunately it’s all in my living room and I don’t have any spares or lights to test anything! Thanks for your help!

Thanks

Yeah sorry 2412 - brain frazzle!! It was second hand, I didn’t pick it up but I believe everything was working, I did think it might be the adapter, I’ll try a new one when I get home tonight - unfortunately it’s all in my living room and I don’t have any spares or lights to test anything! Thanks for your help!

Thanks

Apart from the old Martin standard, I think confusion may sometimes arise because of the fact that on a 3pin XLR pin 1 is in the middle whereas it is at one end of the arc on 4 and 5 pin XLRs.

DOH! I mean pin 3 is in the middle!

Edited by DrV

Apart from the old Martin standard, I think confusion may sometimes arise because of the fact that on a 3pin XLR pin 1 is in the middle whereas it is at one end of the arc on 4 and 5 pin XLRs.

DOH! I mean pin 3 is in the middle!

Been there, got the t-shirts... One of the places I worked purchased 1000 each of male and female 3P XLR's from a fly by night rep. one gender was marked; 1,3,2 instead of 1,2,3 (like DIN with 2 in the middle) which wasn't too bad. But the other gender was marked the same, ie not mirrored. After getting too many wrong I painted a Tippex dot beside the real pin 1 on about 1800 connectors.

They were very very cheap, like 1/4 price of Neutrik, but the good thing about them was they wrapped round and pushed together exactly like some DINs and nothing needed to be threaded on before terminating.

Deep joy...

NOT

Ah yes and we used some 'imported' kit which used the centre pin for earth like DIN, made a mockery of pin 1 connecting first.

Both my LC2412s have Pin2 as Data- and Pin3 as Data+ which I believe is the standard pinouts.

Cheers

Gerry

Equally I've installed several (standard spec for one of the companies I installed in schools for) and never made any allowance for different pinouts however as Stuart says; some have a polarity switch, I don't recall if this applies to the Behringer.