Alternative to Atomic strobes

newby

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a chauvet megastrobe which is all I need really as I only have a small lighting rig its 1500watt and I find it perfect for my needs. I originally brought a generic 1500watt DMX strobe off ebay for £70 but had to replace it as the main problem was when you hit the strobe button on my controller there was a delay before it fired, I assumed it was to do with how the capacitors charged up.

The megastrobe cost me £100, it has 2 channels with intensity and flash rate with a blinder option and the main thing is it fires as soon you tell it too. I think it is ideal if you only do small venues. Seems quite well built too although I havent used it that much yet. I have run it off a 13amp domestic supply with bits of other kit without blowing/tripping anything but im not sure weather thats a good or bad thing.

I'm in the process of ordering a load of the mod chips that are linked in DMXBandits post above as I and a number of people I work with use the Stairville units. I'll report back when I've had a chance to test them, particularly around the blinder function, and whether the 'virtual' temp sensing really does prevent meltdown. Given that it seems to give a very similar functionality to the Atomics (on low power mode) I'm curious to see how it improves them (or blows up!)

• 4 months later...

I did threaten to report back about the mod chips, so here it is...

WOW! Not only do you get the improved functionality, the actual output is significantly increased over the normal unit. Power consumption is much higher now, 13a is no longer enough to power them and I was popping fuses on demand with the blinder function at less than full output power. I'm going to get one hooked up to a 16a inline breaker and see if I can pop that to get an idea of how much power they are consuming, however I can say that for the price (6 euros) these are probably the best value items I've ever bought!

The virtual heat sensing does work, although I've not had them out in anger yet. Hendrick does say that they've never melted one down yet.

Good of you to finally reply with feedback. So how are the electrics in the unit - nothing is getting frazzled yet? Was it easy to install? I'm tempted to follow this up with my unit but I like the fact that I have it on the same power circuit as 4 moving lights and have never blown the 16A trip yet.

Easy install, (6 screws) so long as you remember to bend the reset pin out. I prised the old one out gently with a big flat blade screwdriver and the new one just pressed home.

So far the limit with these has been my domestic power supply at home. Got a gig at the end of the month where we should have a 32a supply for a pair so they'll be used in anger for 10hrs+

I'm also going to get an opportunity to run them back to back with an Atomic so I will try to give an objective view of how they compare. Not sure photography will prove anything in that scenario, they're both very bright!

Another vote for the Hungaroflash Quasar

Hungaroflash are the strobes responsible for lighting up Earls Court at PLASA...you cant miss them, no matter where in the hall you are at the time! (even upstairs!).

http://www.avl.be/images/hungaroflash/tlight_01.jpg

• 3 years later...

Good thread I thought. I enjoyed the read.However mr bull must have bought shares in the company with his 1 post!

I have a question that has a place in this thread. I use my movers to cause a strobe effect with blue and red.{mainly for daft punk songs you understand) do I need to use the same precautions that you would need with a true and fast dedicated strobe?

I do 1 bank red, the other bank blue. Its fast, but without the "time warp" effect if you get me.

Do I need to use the same precautions that you would need with a true and fast dedicated strobe?
Could you explain which precautions you refer to?

Presumably the need to display signs? Although that's not a massively difficult precaution.

On the topic of these strobes, has anyone managed to get them to an intensity where you get a stroboscopic effect without whiting out the audience?

Archived