Help needed with Research!

GlenHartley15

"Theatre Technology has traditionally been used in supportive role for many genres of performance, but it has now evolved and become an integral part of the performance in its own right"

This is a statement I have to explore and discuss when researching into different practitioners of whom have used these following words / phrases as a stimuli:

• Gravity
  • Weightlessness
  • Altering Perspectives
  • Unusual Angles
  • Capturing the Moment
  • Playing with an Audiences Perception

I have already found 'Fighting Gravity' dance group who use brilliant back lighting to perform gravity defying illusions.

But I am trying to find around 2-3 more, and with my acquired search being very vague and odd, its proving difficult!

Any reference or link or just a quick comment with another practitioner I can use, whether they manipulate a performance with technology or whether its solemnly based with technology, either one matters!

Thank you all very much if you comment, If you don't then please...comment! :D

Cirque Du Soleil, Ka.

That's all you're getting from me (your research project, etc) but in terms of 'gravity defying' I would imagine a number of particulars about that particular production, not least its budget (look for an article in Lighting and Sound International magazine as a starting point) should point you in a direction....

Cheers

Smiffy

This is a piece of string question since just about every performance uses some form of technology to address one or more of your parameters and has done since the first cavemen told the story of the hunt, throwing wet leaves on the fire to change the mood.

I think you might wish to refine your questions and the initial statement to become far more specific because you may end up with an endless list and nothing more. Smiffy suggests Cirque and one show, I might suggest tracing the use of technology from circus through Archaos and Debra Brown's C.O.K.E. company before starting at the beginnings of Cirque.

There is more than enough material if the genre were limited to stadium rock shows and this thread could go anywhere from here. Don't ignore what Ken suggests, always worth reading a good text.

Try

and maybe Forkbeard Fantasy for left of centre stuff.

I just wanted to pop in here and say how this thread is an example of how to use the Blue Room to help you with school/college/uni work without saying "please do my homework for me" (something we really, really don't like here). The OP has given us the brief, said what thoughts he's had so far, told us where he's going with the work, proved that he's got some of the answers and just asked for a steer in the right direction to expand his initial thoughts ("just a quick comment with another practitioner").

Because of this he has been given some excellent advice and some suggestions for further reading, all of which has helped him tremenously without anyone writing his coursework for him in any way. Perhaps other students can use this as an example of good practice?

With regard to "Capturing the Moment" - I immediately thought of a contemporary dance thing I saw a few years ago. Erm... <racks brains>

Held. By Australian Dance Theatre. (There are a few links out there if you google it.)

It was a very dynamic dance piece, with a photographer onstage throughout taking digital stills which were immediately displayed on a large screen upstage. So the audience were simultaneously watching the dance itself and a series of photos capturing moments during the piece. (Leaping dancers in mid-air, that kind of thing.)

A little lo-tech, but thinking on the 'altering perspectives' option suggests maybe looking at perspective with regard to using gauzes effectively, or even mirrors in a Pepper's Ghost type of fashion.

Should have really mentioned this before but this piece was the exact same one we used as our stimuli!

Using it for our reflection and essay though so thank you!

With regard to "Capturing the Moment" - I immediately thought of a contemporary dance thing I saw a few years ago. Erm... <racks brains>

Held. By Australian Dance Theatre. (There are a few links out there if you google it.)

It was a very dynamic dance piece, with a photographer onstage throughout taking digital stills which were immediately displayed on a large screen upstage. So the audience were simultaneously watching the dance itself and a series of photos capturing moments during the piece. (Leaping dancers in mid-air, that kind of thing.)

Archived