Stage Manager's Kit....a little overwhleming

Upon studying and reading about Stage Management, I was absolutely overwhelmed by the amount of items required for a proper stage manager's kit. From office supplies, wrenches, magazines, post-its, clear nail polish, band-aids, thread, tampons, flashlights, bobby pins, usb sticks, chalk, tweezers, pocket dictionary, and so much more, I had no idea the amount that was considered professionably suitable was that huge. I've done a lot of community theatre around town and the roles were usually so spread out and already understood that the idea of a stagemanager's kit was sort of spread around the theatre and no one person had everything at all time. Of course with higher budget plays that involved more people, more space, more time, more investment, I understand why there is this need, but I still have a lot of questions about how to manage it all. This is also an assignment for class to get feedback, but my partner and I got lucky with a topic that really does make both of us curious.

If you have any experience with this, please let me know your thoughts. Every question doesn't have to be answered, one will do, but I am so anxious to learn about each.

Thanks guys! http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

Ok so my questions are:

1. We have been studying the importance of a stagemanagers kit in class, and we have come to realize that there is an overwhelming amount of tools, supplies, and unexpected materials that must always be on hand. Could you suggest anything that would help in organizing this seemingly otherwhise amature stagamanager's nightmare?

2. What would you suggest being the most effecient type of container for these items? In hectic times during the rehersal proceedure or performance times, how do you manage distributing and keeping track of everything at once while being at the disposal of the director, actors, crew, and so forth?

3. The possibility has been brought up in class that certain items within the kit can become expected on a regular basis from the actors or crew. Such examples could be cough drops, feminine products, spare change, hair ties, and so on, which can not always be provided every time due to finances. Do you have any advice on the balance between supplying what is curteous rather than being depended on for an infinite supply?

4. What are the top three must-have items in your stagemanger's kit? Why?

5. Are there any items that at the time of purchase you felt were necessary, yet when it came to performance were not as reliable as expected? Or would you suggest replacing one type of item for another more effecient type that you have found through experience?

6. From your experience, do you have any specific do's and don'ts when it comes to organizing and managing a stagemanagers kit?

Thanks again!! http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

A couple of years ago, my DSM arrived at the rehearsal room, with a notepad and a pen - the only other thing he had was a roll of pvc tape. When anyone asked him for a headache pill, pretty well for anything, his reply was "what? I'm not your mother!".

In fact, he did have all these things but before he was going to start giving them out, he wanted to get a handle on the people asking for them. Anyone identified as a "Lazy C..." got nothing whatsoever. However, all genuine requests got courteous service. I always smile when I see the 'ladies bits' on the lists of stage management problem solvers. As a bloke, it's always amazed me that girls aren't prepared for these things. Same thing when I was a teacher at college. I was forever opening the 'for emergencies' drawer for panicking people. They didn't seem to find my labels in the drawer funny, though - I thought 'stick em on' or 'stick em up' quite funny!

I'm in a slightly different situation in that I work permanently in a theatre company which has everything in one building, with the exception of the workshop, so I don't have to have nearly as much stuff in my kit as other SMs might - admin looks after all first aid supplies, if people need bobby pins or needle and thread they can go to wardrobe etc etc etc. We have 3 stage managers, and we do all have our own kits, but they don't have to be as comprehensive as they might otherwise need to be. However, I'll answer your questions as best I can anyway!

1. We have been studying the importance of a stagemanagers kit in class, and we have come to realize that there is an overwhelming amount of tools, supplies, and unexpected materials that must always be on hand. Could you suggest anything that would help in organizing this seemingly otherwhise amature stagamanager's nightmare?

Don't let it overwhelm you! Stick with the basics, and don't let yourself keep thinking "oh, I need this" when in fact you might need it once and have something else in your kit which would stand in anyway! Also, dividing things into "sub-kits" may be helpful as well - for instance, while my situation is different, we have a markout box which has loads of different colours of tape, a scale rule and multiple tape measures. We don't need most of these things in day-to-day rehearsals so it has its own box. Having an emergency wardrobe repairs kit, a markout kit, an everyday rehearsal kit (stationery and things you do need daily) and maybe a production week kit is a way to keep it less overwhelming.

2. What would you suggest being the most effecient type of container for these items? In hectic times during the rehersal proceedure or performance times, how do you manage distributing and keeping track of everything at once while being at the disposal of the director, actors, crew, and so forth?

Fishing tackle boxes are ideal. I personally have a metal toolbox with a top tray that lifts out, but I don't keep my stationery in it; if I wasn't attached to it for other reasons (my dad made it for me!) and used to it, I'd go for a tackle box.

3. The possibility has been brought up in class that certain items within the kit can become expected on a regular basis from the actors or crew. Such examples could be cough drops, feminine products, spare change, hair ties, and so on, which can not always be provided every time due to finances. Do you have any advice on the balance between supplying what is curteous rather than being depended on for an infinite supply?

Paul's advice above is excellent! I'll usually give stuff like that out the first time, but if it happens more than once then I start to use the "I'm not your mother" line.

Gaffer tape, pencils, safety pins. My cellphone, Maglite and Gerber are not part of my SM kit - they go where I go!

5. Are there any items that at the time of purchase you felt were necessary, yet when it came to performance were not as reliable as expected? Or would you suggest replacing one type of item for another more effecient type that you have found through experience?

You get what you pay for. I invested in decent tools - not top-of-the-range, but not cheapies either, and it has so been worth it. Buy the best tools you can afford and you'l be better off in the long run!

6. From your experience, do you have any specific do's and don'ts when it comes to organizing and managing a stagemanagers kit?

It's your kit, organise it how it works for you! My kit looks very different to my two co-SMs, and we can each justify how our kits are organised - it's completely a personal thing.

1. ...Could you suggest anything that would help in organizing this seemingly otherwhise amature stagamanager's nightmare?

as what others have said, not all that is needed all the time. it also depends on whether your a touring SM or resident SM & what sort of shows you do the requirements of kit are different for an opera than a rock n' roll one nighter. we are a recieving house which also would be different kit to what a producing house might have

2. What would you suggest being the most effecient type of container for these items?...

we use a combination of hooks, pots, shelves & an icecream tub

3. ...Do you have any advice on the balance between supplying what is curteous rather than being depended on for an infinite supply?

As what has been said I would be in the 'genuine' request group, what might not be your problem would soon be your problem when they aren't onstage when they need to be!

- Maglite (invaluable source of illumination, not to be biased several of our crew that SM have other brands)

- Gaff / Lx Tape (what can't be fixed with these two ain't worth fixing! :blink: )

- multi-tool (I've got a cheap one off fleabay which also has an AJ as part of it. If I owned a Gerber etc it wouldn't be long before I didn't :blink: )

cheap or free company branded type pens, never skimp on the most basic tools

due to our kit being used by several SMs, we label everything to keep it clear.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't let it overwhelm you! Stick with the basics, and don't let yourself keep thinking "oh, I need this" ....

I have a friend who is a rock and roll production manager, and a couple of years ago he yelled STOP when he worked out what internationally touring three cable trunk size flightcases full of stuff that might come in handy one day was costing the production...

• 3 weeks later...

I use a toolbox - I refuse to use anything that I can't carry in one hand though. I don't think a Stage Manager has to have every single thing that might be needed, just the basics. Within my tool box, I keep a small pencil case for stationary and a first-aid kit. This cuts down the clutter.

I use a mid-size toolbox. (See above) On small shows, I usually invite the actors to go into my kit when they need something (this also helps with asking a male Stage Manager for tampons.) On large shows, I can't say I've had a problem with people always wanting things. Usually actors only need things at the beginning and the end of rehearsal. If I have an ASM (we don't have DSMs in Canada), I usually give them my kit to take care of (or at least the first-aid part). This gets the actors used to going to them for things: this is what they'll have to do during the run.

I say that if something is needed every day, the actors or the company should provide it. I only really pay for things that are needed occasionally. Quite often, I ask for part of the show budget goes towards over-the-counter drugs, bandages, medical tape, hair clips and pins, and pencils.

When I did Beauty and the Beast last year, most if the actors/dancers taped their feet. I was going through a lot of tape, so asked the company for money, but they refused. I told the cast to bring their own tape or give me $5 to buy them a roll.

No matter how much something is used, I think it should some how be provided. Financially small things like that should never get in the way.

First-aid kit, pencils and hair clips. These are probably used the most. There are about 10 more close seconds though. (And, yes, I realize that "first-aid kit" is a cheat.)

I'm with GridGirl, get the best quality you can. (This especially includes little things like sticky notes and bandages.)

Re-stock your kit often. There is nothing worse than needing something and you used to have it, but don't anymore.

I often ask the Director (and actors) what types of things they find they like to have on a show. This could be breath mints (for kissing scenes), hand sanitizer, hand moisturizer or water glasses.

Archived