DMX pyro's?

Joe Bleasdale

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hi all,

is it possible to have DMX pyro's. Because I want to run them through a DMX desk.

thanks

joe

Hello Joe

Is it possible, yes; should it be done, no, definately not

The reason for this is that DMX has no error detection /protection and, if you have read the forum, you will also realise that a lot of people have problems with DMX that cause their lamps/dimmers/fixtures to do wierd things which is normally followed by the 'Have you got it terminated? - if so take it off, if not fit one' debate.

With pyro you cannot take the chance of your DMX link going awry and detonating your pyro when it shouldn't. So please, don't do it.

Hope this helps

Neil

Have a feeling this has been covered here many times before, but I'll paraphrase for you - NO!

DMX is a relatively simple protocal, with little error checking. In other words, misfires would be reasonably likely.

I believe there was also some discussion about using DMX on a thread about a flame jet unit, again, lots of people didn't like the idea.

Unfortunately this computer WILL crash if I try and open another browser window to have a look for the relevant posts!

Edit; beaten to it!

With a deadmans handle and a disabling keyswitch a safe system of work can be developed for DMX triggered pyrotechnics.

For most things its much easier to have someone trigger them manually, as you'd have to have someone in the wings with a deadmans handle for DMX triggering anyway.

With a deadmans handle and a disabling keyswitch a safe system of work can be developed for DMX triggered pyrotechnics.

For most things its much easier to have someone trigger them manually, as you'd have to have someone in the wings with a deadmans handle for DMX triggering anyway.

I'm going to jump in again here and say this.

Whilst the feasibility of using DMX control to fire pyro effects using appropriate DMH and safety keyswitch features is certainly possible, it is not in any way something I would recommend being done by anyone not totally familiar and very experienced with the use of such equipment.

I would also point out that the OP is a 16 yr old looking (presumably) to use pyro in a school play/show setting which is another thing that needs addressing. Apologies to the OP, but if you're under 18 you are not allowed to handle, buy or fire pyrotechnics. I would go further and say that unless the school has an experienced and responsible adult available at all times, this one's likely to be a no-brainer.

I suggest that the mods might like to merge this with one of the older DMX pyro topics, maybe...

The thing with deadmans handles is that it is frequently the case that the cast move out of the way for the shot. Therefore the deadmans handle only gets operated when the shot is about to happen anyway (certainly within a few seconds). If your spotter knows the cues and safety zones well enough to know when to enable the DMH, why complicate things by having you in the loop at all?

If I remember correctly the dmx512 protocol standard specifically states that DMX should not be used for safety critical systems, including pyro. I don't have the documents to hand to double check and reference this though. If something goes wrong, and someone is injured, how are you going to justify using DMX?

The thing with deadmans handles is that it is frequently the case that the cast move out of the way for the shot. Therefore the deadmans handle only gets operated when the shot is about to happen anyway (certainly within a few seconds). If your spotter knows the cues and safety zones well enough to know when to enable the DMH, why complicate things by having you in the loop at all?
An interesting one, I imagine there could be desire for tighter cue integration perhaps, e.g. snap BO and pyro hit, but you are probably right in that it is more likely to just make something go wrong and the cue not fire.

If I remember correctly the dmx512 protocol standard specifically states that DMX should not be used for safety critical systems, including pyro.
This is indeed correct Sam, and I wonder how flexible the standard would be, however if you have implemented a safe system of work then it could perhaps be argued that the DMX control side of the system stops becoming safety critical, because it is only actually enabled when it is safe to fire, therefore it doesn't matter if the DMX signal causes it to fire early. IANAL etc!

If your spotter knows the cues and safety zones well enough to know when to enable the DMH, why complicate things by having you in the loop at all?

Precisely!!

I don't know there's probably a fair few examples where the spotter isn't in a position to see a visual cue and someone FOH isn't in a position to see if it's safe. In my opinion it's also beneficial to safety to have someone arm the system when it's safe without having to worry about getting the timing right which with pyro can be a challenge in itself.

Archived