DMX pyro's?

Joe Bleasdale

If I remember correctly the dmx512 protocol standard specifically states that DMX should not be used for safety critical systems, including pyro. I don't have the documents to hand to double check and reference this though. If something goes wrong, and someone is injured, how are you going to justify using DMX?

Entirely true Sam.

However, when applied with a fail safe deadman's handle, and a sensible risk assessment (Oh Goody, another one!) Surely it is no longer a "Safety Critical" system, as we have now built in (IMO) suitable safety systems.

I see scjb and Ynot's points as well, if the guy (or gal) with the handle is suitably experienced to decide safe Go/No Go, then why not have them press the big red button?

However, how many times have we wanted to time a pyro fire EXACTLY to a blackout? Or to the start of a new chase/ lighting state / Soundtrack, Whatever? Yes, I appreciate there are show control protocols out there designed for this sort of thing, but (Again, in my opinion) I feel that a DMX/Deadman's Handle / RA / Experience / knowledge and Common sense combination in some situations may well be approriate. I genuinely believe that all of the above would constitute the "Resonable" steps required to ensure safety.

I of course am not a Lawyer, there are people who earn get paid a damn sight more then me to decide things like that.

Just my 2p

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
However, how many times have we wanted to time a pyro fire EXACTLY to a blackout? Or to the start of a new chase/ lighting state / Soundtrack, Whatever? Yes, I appreciate there are show control protocols out there designed for this sort of thing, but (Again, in my opinion) I feel that a DMX/Deadman's Handle / RA / Experience / knowledge and Common sense combination in some situations may well be approriate. I genuinely believe that all of the above would constitute the "Resonable" steps required to ensure safety.

Let's look at this another way, slightly.

If there's a show out there that has a pyro effect that HAS to be precisely timed to a lighting cue (or even set thereof) then the tech director must make some decisions. One of those decisions is whether to spend some of the budget available on a suitable control system which would include full resilient backups , and also include a properly experienced pyro op to set up and execute the gag. There ARE systems out there which can do the job, but these may cost out of budget - at which point it's up to the director/TD to decide on what best suits the show over all.

As I've said before:

Theres nothing wrong with DMX512 as a pyro control protocol per se, it is reliable enough for the job providing it is surrounded with the correct safety approaches that you should have with any system. DMX512 (or any other protocol) doesn't say "fire a pyro", it says "I'm suggesting you should fire a pyro now please, providing it is safe to do so", taking the safety aspects out of the DMX512 space.

My school has a full time technician who is a qualified pyro techinican.

Irrespective of the discussion of using additional safety checkers and all the rest of it...

If you have a person who is a 'qualified pyro technician', surely this person would be in the best position to answer all these questions, as he/she will also have the benefit of knowing your venue, your equipment and your show!

If doubt still remained over any specifics, he/she could have come here to seek clarification. I don't know what qualification is referred to but I imagine that at least 80% of the training will have been concerned with the safety aspects in such a potentially dangerous field. As such, your technician should be able to carry out a risk assessment based on the actual circumstances, and come up with the best and safest solution. I'd go as far as to say that if he/she didn't know whether DMX alone was okay to fire pyro or not, then he/she needs refresher training at the very least!

Archived