Alternative to Atomic strobes

newby

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are various cheap & nasty 2kw and 3kw "giga strobes" and other similar badged offerings from PROC available at most budget DJ outlets, although IMO none come close to the 3kw Martin Atomic.

The Pulsar Demon Strobe is very good, although it is only 1.5kw

The Atomic is excellent value and industry standard..... as has already been said - why do you need an alternative?

In response to the OP, :)

I have found the Hungaroflash range of strobes some of the best,

The EuroDMX, and USDMX units would suit an atomic replacement, theres also some bigger and smaller units on the site,

www.hungaroflash.com

hth

http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_strobe...ower_strobe.htm

Looks fairly cheap and nasty and half (or less), the power, however having said that I've never used one.

I was going to be getting an Atomic 3k in for a christmas show I'm doing, but I think that's gone out the window now :/

If you can get an Atomic 3k in, then go for it, don't go for cheap stuff if you can help it.

Also, I'm sure the Stairville stuff is badged under different names? Like some Acme/Chauvet/Prolight stuff is all the same stuff, just under different names?

I have found the Hungaroflash range of strobes some of the best,

Yes me too, they out-flash the Atomic by far, but then again they are rather larger (or at least have a larger range of wattages).

The UK agent tfor Hungaroflash is LED Ltd in Kent.

Be warned, they do colossal strobes and when you see them you'll want them! Some of them have to have uprated mains supplies though..check the requirements.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_strobe...ower_strobe.htm

Looks fairly cheap and nasty and half (or less), the power, however having said that I've never used one.

I've got one of these. They don't compare to an Atomic at all. The main feature that this unit lacks is the 'blinder' effect (like quick lightning) that you get with Atomics. Saying that though, it uses far less power intake when on full at 100% speed and intensity, and it is great if you just want a fairly beefy strobe with simple speed and dimmer ranges. It depends on how you use your strobe and it's application but if you just want to strobe, then I'd get 2 of these to one Atomic.

I hired a pair of giga strobes recently, and although they appeared to be the same thing, they behaved totally differently under the influence of DMX. Very frustrating. All I wanted was for them to single flash together, how hard a request is that...? More frustratingly, these sorts of strobe are the only ones I can found for hire round here, I'd have chewed someone's arm off for a pair of Atomics...

Just to add for future reference, those Stairville models have a control issue along with lack of duration: When you fire (ie. raise intensity above zero) it does not instantly flash. It depends on the rate setting and internal clock. You could liken this to a chase option such as 'skip first wait time' etc.

This creates two problems in operation. If you set a slow rate then delay before first flash will be a matter of chance. If you set a high rate you can guarantee an immediate response but with a rather nasty side effect of a 'burst' of flashes instead of just the one.

For these reasons I don't feel they are suitable for pro stage use although I find they are fine as a very cheap club effect.

Archived