Identifying a fake SM87A

Mr Steve

Hello,

I recently picked up a Shure SM87A from a well known auction site. I purchased it on a whim as it was a "bargain". I'm trying to work out if it's a fake, or if it's just sold by someone who didn't really know what they were offering. I've had a look around the internet to see if I can work out if it's genuine or not and am still confused. I do not have access to a second SM87A to compare it to.

Anyway, apparently if the pouch is 8.5 inches it's a fake - mine is 8.5"

If the XLR pins are numbered, its supposed to be genuine - mine are marked 1,2 and 3.

There is "shure" printed/extruded in the base of the XLR connector - would fakers bother with this?

The mic seems to work regardless of if it has phantom power or not. I thought that condensor mics always needed phantom to operate.

If you take off the grille, there is a label on the capsule which reads "-CAUTION- do not attempt to open or turn -warranty will be voided-".

If anyone could take a good close-up picture or two of their genuine SM87A it would really help me work this out. If I've been had, then never mind, it was cheap!

Thanks!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Steve

I can sympathise with your plight. I too brought an Shure 87 from a well known auction site just before Christmas cheaply and it turned out to be a fake. Mine was a Shure Beta 87c - I unsuspectingly sold the item on after not using it as I needed to make some cash quickly. I only realised after the buyer pointed out all the things you have said. He said also the actual length of the microphone was shorter so this may be an indication also. Also take a look at the capsule - if it doesn't need phantom power then its a sure bet its not a condenser capsule - which mine isn't. I didn't really inspect my microphone after buying it as I was too busy but am pretty sure now listening to the sound quality - the buyer was absolutely right!

I wonder if by a`strange quirk we brought off the same buyer - he also had a Shure SM87a for sale cheaply?

Hope this helped in some way.

Sim

He said also the actual length of the microphone was shorter so this may be an indication also.

Yup, I just got my ruler out. Mine was around 20mm shorter than a real 87. Also the band around the grille is indented whereas a real 87 seems to have a smooth band. Secondly, the grooves in the top section of the mic grip are more indented on a real 87.

How rubbish!

As a matter of interest, how much did you pay? How did you pay? Was it a UK seller?

If it's a fake (and it sounds like it is), you should at least report it to Ebay/Paypal. You may get a refund. You may prevent someone else getting "stung". On the other hand, you may be wasting your time....

Grr...

I hate fake mics

I come across fake Shures all the time, usually bands have bought them for reputation but look for them cheap, ie eBay. I find that occasionally when I pick up a band's mic it just feels wrong.

They still work well enough for bands to not notice though.

There's a fair section on the Shure website about counterfeit mics and if you e-mail Shure, they can shut down auctions using an eBay system that lets manufacturers cancel any auction - done this once after my mate was caught out.

Chris

ps. - weigh the mic and compare it to the spec sheet - dead giveaway sometimes

And, most importantly, what does it sound like?

Absolutely. Given that all the mics we choose to use colour the sound in some way, then a real (eg) SM58 is not a 'good' mic, it's an imperfect mic we like the sound of. A knockoff mic may be nothing like the thing it errr... looks like, but if it sounds good in some circumstance and is reliable then you've got a bargain.

Of course, it may sound terrible in all circumstances :)

I have had a few fale sm 58s from ebay. Mine have shure on the XLR to be its lighter and looking at the XLR end you can see the pitch of the metalwork is thinner. came with a shure box and garrenty with shure cable and sticker! I came up with the conclution that someone was buying genuine mics in boxes and just taking the mic out of the box and putting a fake mic in. They get a 58 with no bag but get around half there money back for the fake one on ebay!

Have to admit DBuckley says when AB'ed with a real 58 Its hard to tell the difference. (guess im one of the lucky ones)

Chris

Yesterday had a panic call-out to a local theatre, somebody booked the venue for a 'showcase' - in fact an amateur musical theatre company looking for some work. Brief was simple can we have a PA that can play a MD and 3 cabled mics on stands. This particular place is only open for a short season, and don't have any permanent kit. Put the system in and found that the general manager just wanted to know how to power it all down, and which putton to push for 'play' - really just an audition, no audience, and no need for an op. I looked in my mic box and realised in my hurry, I'd brought the wrong one - this was the 'posh' box and hand held mics were a bit limited - a few hardy used 86's and Beta58's - bearing in mind the chances of nice, gentle use were a bit slim, I had a brainwave (rare for me) Show relay mic is a 'retired' 58, there is another as a spare on the SM dsk, with dented grill, and another in the roof space - put there for a 'spotter' many years ago. So I gathered these up and put away the mic box.

Set all three up on stands next to each other, identical eq (as in swtched off), identical gains. They all fed back when pushed, I could set a level that would be kind of ok with no one to control them. Went up on stage and "one, two, test". They all sounded different - not bad, but certainly different through the monitors. A closer look revealed an SM58, and SM48 and a pro-sound 58 copy. The 58 sounded typical of what I'd normally expect to hear, the 48 was dull, and the prosound clean - with a bit more presence. It was this mic I was most impressed with and would be really good to use on people with prominent chest voices that always sound far too resonant on a 58. I don't think I've ever even considered using one of these properly - kind of thinking karaoke or even bingo calling - but I will certainly consider this one now. Sometimes you find little gems when you don't expect them.

Given that all the mics we choose to use colour the sound in some way, then a real (eg) SM58 is not a 'good' mic, it's an imperfect mic we like the sound of. A knockoff mic may be nothing like the thing it errr... looks like, but if it sounds good in some circumstance and is reliable then you've got a bargain.

I've always been an AKG guy as I used to work for the Australian agent. The Shure SM58 just sounds dull to me. Good marketing like Bose eh?

Sometimes the fakes may sound ok but have a poor pattern,etc. It is surprising sometimes how good some of the el-cheapo brands can sound.

I guess as long as you like the sound and the price you paid it' all good then! :-)

You've got me worried now... I just bought a couple of Beta 87s from a well known auction site, for perhaps a too-good-to-be-true price!

Shure are being great though, if you're worried, get in touch with them. Mine are now off to see them and they will confirm whether they are fake or not, and then send them back to me with paperwork either confirming or denying their authenticity.

Neil

Are you sure? If you take a fake Rolex into one of their dealers and they say it's a fake, they smash it with a hammer - it's an illegal copy of their product, so you can't exactly complain - I can't see Shure sending them back, so as you can sell it on?

I very much see your point, although that was what the guy said! Interestingly the seller I bought it from did have Paypal protection etc, so I'm hoping I may have some come back! I will post again once Shure have resolved the matter.

I've now recieved my Beta 87s back from Shure, with a letter confirming that they are indeed counterfeit. ;) The seller has agreed to refund them so at least I'll get my money back!

I can recommend contacting Shure if you're not sure what you've got! They were really helpful with me, and turned the equipment round almost same day.

Archived