Identifying a fake SM87A

Mr Steve

Hi guys,

I think I have been "faked" mics were a case of "if it appears too good to be true then it probably is" and they were fricking cheap (should have seen alarm bells but alas).

Another user emailed me straight away after purchase to warn me so I tried to cancel the order but alas, money paid and no response from seller until today when mics arrived.

Brilliant copies with all the printing and everything else correct (damn hard to tell the difference to be honest) but I wired it up to the tops of my PA and had a listen and it sounded brighter and just "not quite right". Didn't trust my ears / mouth completely though so I decided to create some feedback.

The one from China (despite the account being someone in Bedfordshire) fed back at a lower level but with a much more highly pitched tone, I check my other two 58s and they were the same but completely different to the China one.

Is this a fair test to confirm my suspicions?

Chris

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As mentioned in the thread earlier, why not send the mic to Shure and have them examine them if your concerned you have been sold fakes?

If you want to make 100% Shure?;)

Jimbo (sorry, I couldn't resist!)

Sadly there has just been another batch of them appear on the scene. All the range, sm57 and 58 beta 56 57 58 and 87. Nearly bought 2 beta57's yesterday, infact I did click buy it now, but I smelt a rat and held back on paying until I'd spoken with the seller. This afternoon I got an e-mail from another buyer telling me to be careful (very kind of them, thankyou very much) but got an e-mail just after saying the listing had been removed (there were 20 available).

Do be careful. You're much better off going for a reasonably priced second hand one than risking buying a new one that appears too good to be true. A beta57 went on ebay for £40 today, and I bought 2 beta58's for £40 each the other day, and a beta87c for £102 last week. So there are plenty of good prices to be had.

Rob

most certainly. That item will disappear pretty soon. That mic doesn't even say Shure on it.

The listing wording is also exactly the same as fo the Beta57 I found. Exactly the same. So much so that it still says Beta57 in the listing.

I brought two Sennheiser EW100 G2's off Enother Buying Auction Yocation I never thought about mics being faked so thought I got them for a great price. When they came (tuck four weeks) I looked them over and noticed a few difference with my other EW100s. One major indication of them both being fakes was the pair having the same serial number ;)

Cut a long story short I did some complaining and the seller said he would refund my money only if I sent back the items but I wasn't willing to let him sell them on again and after a few phone calls and far too many emails I got PayPal to refund me in full.. I still have the mics boxed up in my office. If you brought just the one and wasn't use to working with them I really don't think you will know. One of the techs at Sennheiser told me there is a factory in China banging out copies of many well known brands and it only stops doing it after it's threatened with court action. Only thing is they then move on to another product.

I'm sure that you can trust Amazon when they are actually selling the goods themselves but they appear to have no control whatsoever over Amazon Market Place sellers such as these!

The guy selling for £35 has just started up and as yet has absolutely no credibility, so he definitely sounds very dodgy!

David

I brought two Sennheiser EW100 G2's off Enother Buying Auction Yocation I never thought about mics being faked so thought I got them for a great price. When they came (tuck four weeks) I looked them over and noticed a few difference with my other EW100s. One major indication of them both being fakes was the pair having the same serial number ;)

Cut a long story short I did some complaining and the seller said he would refund my money only if I sent back the items but I wasn't willing to let him sell them on again and after a few phone calls and far too many emails I got PayPal to refund me in full.. I still have the mics boxed up in my office. If you brought just the one and wasn't use to working with them I really don't think you will know. One of the techs at Sennheiser told me there is a factory in China banging out copies of many well known brands and it only stops doing it after it's threatened with court action. Only thing is they then move on to another product.

Resting my feet on one at the moment. To look you'd never know. To use, goodness me. The front panel of the receiver is off centre so the butons rub.

The mic insert is on a dodgy angle so screwing the end on after a battery change is a nightmare.

The little screw bit on the end that yo spin around to access the buttons and cover them up etc, if you turn this anti clockwise to cover the power button......it presses it.....and switches the mic off!

Fantastic, it made my day even though its cost me money.

Contacted the guy (playing stupid) and said it's not working right, which it doesn't there's a horrible noise from it and the receiver doesn't function properly. He said, if I wanted to sort it, I'd have to send it back to China myself. I said that's odd, it's a funny route to say they're made in the USA isn't it. Not had a reply since.

it didn't cost me alot and I've got the barebones of another system should anything require replacement so I'm not too fussed. Though I'm tempted to list it on ebay as faulty. (please don't bid).

Rob

edit: ooo that's strayed OT a bit hasn't it.

With regard to the Shure stuff being discussed here, I can't commend enough the service Shure UK gave me last year when I had some dodgy Beta 87a mics. They did return the mics to me, which meant I could send them back to the seller, they also took all the details of the transaction to then pursue the offending retailer.

The units I got looked immaculate, physically, it was the weight that was wrong and first aroused my suspicion.

Neil.

Archived