Making a "Fame" logo

Pete Alcock

In a few weeks, I'm providing kit and expertise to an amateur production of Fame. I went to see it at the Aldwych recently (loud or what!), and was impressed with the gobo of Fame on the gauze as you go in.

So, I costed up a b-size gobo from DHA and it's gonna be over 50 quid to have one made. West-end budget - no problem, Bournemouth amateur budget - no chance.

So, Is there a way of etching one's own. I used to make PCBs with ferric chloride years ago and that worked OK. What sort of acid would I need for thin stainless steel? If not, anyone got one I can borrow/hire?

Thanks,

Pete.

Data projector (if such a beast happens to be available to you) and a Powerpoint slide? If it's an amdram show, quite often you might find that asking around the company yields one or two people who can get hold of a projector for you ...

I dont think there is a copy of the gobo in the DHA or Rosco as its a custom made for the show which then is their design and property. Also im sure ill be corrected, but I think the logo is actually registered as a trademark....... but def the selecon pacific is the way to go with a bit of ohp and a printer hey presto all done.

Ditto on the Selecon Pacific option. Bearing in mind that the acetate only option will only survive if you use a 600w GKV lamp with the lamp base screwed right down.

If you want to use acetate at a higher power, get a Rosco Imagepro unit. Fits selecons and Source4's. Only downside is the cost of the rather over-priced slide carriers. Gobo life is pretty much ensured though.

Steve

I recall a topic (most probably on the Stagecraft list) about etching. Basically you 'scored' the metal where you wanted the edges and dipped it in acid and the acid weakened the metal. Done carefully, and timed right, remove the metal, rinse and push out the centre. You can apparently get some very nice sharp edges doing this.

I also recall (possibly mistakenly) that you use a sharpie or something to trace around... and I'm not sure if you need to apply 'resist' to where you don't want eaten away.

Hope that helps some...

David :)

I've had a great run of "Need a gobo? Here, chuck us that Fosters can and that stanley knife"! I know you can get them fairly cheaper than that, Gradav for example generally have them going for £30. As for making your own decent ones, I'm no help :)

One option may be to find a local firm with a laser cutting machine, and see if they'll do you a cheap favour...

My mum's school has one, although apparently it won't cut PCBs very well - it set fire to the substrate!

Bit old school, but howzabout a slide projector and a 35mm slide of the logo? You can get old slide projectors for next to nowt (ie probably less than the weekly hire of a pacific), and the oldies have a 1KW halogen lamp, which you can rewire so that it comes on a separate power cable so you can keep the fan on hard power and the bulb dimmed on a normal channel.

Otherwise I'll joint the throng on the Pacific front.

Well, if you're handy with a craft knife or scalpel, you could easily cut the letters from an aluminium pie dish base. Trace the outline on first pressing lightly with a sharp pencil to score where you're going to cut, then with a little dextrous fingerwork you have the ultimate cheap gobo!

The base of a Tesco's chicken & mushroom pie dish is just the right size for a Source 4 Junior gobo holder, FWIW...! :stagecrew:

For a laser cutter: bigbluesaw.com

Which is an American company who would charge roughly $30 for a stainless steel gobo, plus shipping.

It's actually a waterjet cutter, although these may actually be better for cutting out gobos.

You'll need someone in the UK methinks.

Archived