The Dark Arts

Bryson

I was just thinking about the way we lay our dancefloor (By which I mean Dance Lino, not that wooden parquet stuff..or those awful portable sprung dancefloors) the other day (My, the hours just fly by!) and it occurred to me that laying a dancefloor is much like a secret special recipe.

Everyone has their own little quirky way of doing it, including actions that must be taken to ensure that it's perfect (for example, I am obsessive about mopping the dancefloor with a damp towel wrapped round a broom as the last thing you do).

It's almost like some kind of magical incantation that has actions and words that must be performed, and even modes of dress (no shoes! No bare feet! wet socks for you sir...)

Here's our "recipe":

Sweep stage area.

Roll out dancefloor from the front of the stage to the back. THE DAY BEFORE YOU USE IT!

Next day, sweep the stage again.

Put the Dancefloor in position.

Line up the front edge.

Hide the excess or dodgy bits at the other end behind the backdrop.

Tape the sections together with 3 1/4" black PVC. (Anyone found using clear dancefloor tape on black dancefloor will be shot. Anyone found using gaffa will be tortured and then shot.)

Pressing down hard, go along each tape line with a broom.

Tack the front but don't tape it properly.

Using two big-ass stage brooms, sweep the dancefloor from front to back to get the air out from underneath.

Now tape the front. (Don't stretch the tape!)

Now tape the sides.

Now sweep it all again.

Take your shoes off. Leave your socks on.

Mop it with Water and a hint of detergent.

Mop it with hot water.

Sweep/mop it with a hot, damp towel.

Threaten to kill anyone found with shoes on near it until showtime.

See what I mean? If we don't do that exactly the way it says above, we get all anxious, like we've forgotten something really important.

Just wondered if anyone else had noticed any other things we do that are so precise, but yet so variable from venue to venue. Or perhaps you'd like to share your recipe for the perfect dancefloor?

I am not quite as bad as that but close ( plus my feet smeel after a day in boots) (not the chemmist) do we have marley O.C.D.? What about a support group?

The one you didnt mention rolling it up properly(grrrr) after the gig,the number of people who fail to relise that it will be us who willbe putting it out next time.

Othe ritules

Labling up desk sposition and names washes on the left with the radio mics specials on the right with the FX

Is all the above what happens on a good day or every time you use the floor?

I toured with a very tired dance floor once. It wouldn't stretch that much because of many years/ months previous gigs gaffa tape on the seams. After a lot of hassle and not so tender care the crew got it into a nice condition.

;)

Did a fair stint of medium scale opera touring a number of years ago, and 7 of the productions (10 in the rep) had its own painted dancefloor.

Daily change-over.. so 30 minutes to pull the floor from the previous night, and lay the new one..... I would have to say rather than it being in the planning....... more to do with how it was rolled up during the get out :)

The only thing to add (as if your ritual wasn't involved enough already!!) is something I picked up from a stage manager at phoenix dance:

Having checked visually that there are no loose nails sticking up from the stage, run an upturned broom-head over the area to be covered, and you'll feel anything hard and rough down there ( :) ).

(Of course, this is for touring with dancefloor - The care and attention I have seen Bryson lovingly confer upon his venue means that no loose nail would go unnoticed for a second ;) )

The key is planning, you see...

hmmm, easier way is to remember the mnemonic of the seven P's -

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performances.

;) does the job nicely.

one show that I did, we had to set up a dance floor in the round. what a bu**er to sort out - laid onto sprung boards that were more uneven than the steps to the liverpool musem's front entrance.

not much fun, but with a V.Large amount of thin ply, we sorted/bodged it out. :)

cheers

andrew

I worked on a ballet where we had guest artistes alternating the lead role - one guy liked the floor slippy, the other liked it with more grip, so we had to check who was dancing for any given performance before coking the floor. More recently, I have vague memories of compensation claims from a dancer who broke an ankle through dancing on an over-coked floor - leg twisted, foot stayed still on the high-grip floor... True story, or Theatre myth? I can't quite remember the details.

I worked on a ballet where we had guest artistes alternating the lead role - one guy liked the floor slippy, the other liked it with more grip, so we had to check who was dancing for any given performance before coking the floor. More recently, I have vague memories of compensation claims from a dancer who broke an ankle through dancing on an over-coked floor - leg twisted, foot stayed still on the high-grip floor... True story, or Theatre myth? I can't quite remember the details.

True story. I remember it from The Stage (=> must be true ;)) £12,000 if I remember rightly. It was a rehearsal room, and because it was a smooth looking floor, the dancer expected to be able to slide his foot along it. When his foot didn't slide due to coke-mopping, his leg jarred and he tore ligaments, resulting in a lump of compensation for his trouble.

Before anyone gets any ideas about Dancefloors being rather "rock'n'roll", they do, of course mean Coca-Colatm the marvellous caffinated beverage without which no shows in my venue would ever be plotted.

Please note: Other caffeinated vegetable-extract drinks are also available; The value of your home may go down as well as up; no flash photography permitted in the auditorium; mind the gap... :)

Please note: Other caffeinated vegetable-extract drinks are also available; The value of your home may go down as well as up; no flash photography permitted in the auditorium; mind the gap... :)

You forgot:

Your legs are at risk if you do not keep up repayments...

My my the student loan company have gone downhill since the days of grants!

Anyone tried using a small amount of coke mixed in with the water when you mop? this gives the black surface a really nice shine and makes it easier to dance on! (apparently)

I heard a long time ago about a ballet on a very steep rake, so the fizzy pop method was employed. However some keen cleaner noticed this sticky floor....... dancers go t**s over apex and Tabs in. And low the technicians work like there is no tomorrow.

Can we have a grammar check please, mine is in St Ives.

The only addition, would be a really good stretch.

Tape one end of the floor.

Stand two beefy crew at that end, on the floor.

2 people pull from the other end of dance floor, and tape down as quick as possible. You can gain up to 4 inches extra, or more importantly, lose any play in the floor - otherwise injuries can be plentiful,

and definately no coca-cola! (for contemporary anyway)

Archived