New DJ scans

Rich

Hi folks.

I'm thinking about some new scans for DJ'ing, and hiring out as part of a DJ package. Would I be better off buying the Futurelight DJ-scan 250's or the Robe DJ-scan 150 XT.

Any comments would be greatly recieved.

Many thanks, Rich.

Did you mean Robe 150? Obviously this is much lower power output and lower colour temp. They do make a 250 using the same discharge lamp as the Futurelight.

I have never used either but I'm sure most of these czech products are fairly much the same. Maybe you can decide simply by comparing features, which are different.

The main thing I would consider is servicing/availability of parts. I have had bad experiences with the Futurelight MH units. Poor reliability and poor support etc. The same was certainly true of Robe in the past, but perhaps things are improving as they are clearly trying to push into the touring market.

The Futurelight will have a lot more power even when I prefer the Eurolite TS 255. Eurolite it's the budget brand of Futurelight but on this case even been cheaper it works better.

About the Robe scanners all the Dj series are from the old "XT" models. I wouldn't bother in the dj series until I see an "AT" next to the model number.

I haven't had much experience using any Futurelight products, but I find the robe fixtures are quite remarkable and easy to use. I also find that martin pro scanner's eg. MX-1, MX-4, and MX-1 as well as the newer Roboscans are brilliant to work with. It depends on your budget but I find that martin is the way to go for me. Hope this Helps. :angry:

Cheers for your help guys.

I understand the spec of the Futurelight is higher (and they're also about £50 cheaper), but I was concerned about the quality of the product, and how prone to failiure they are. I'd noticed Robe are doing some moving heads which are pretty highly regarded, and kind of presumed that this would reflect in their lower priced products?

Price is a big issue for me, as I'm on a tight budget so the Martin products are a it ut of my price range. Would I be better off looking for some used 518's?

All of your comments are greatly appriciated, keep them coming!

Tanks for your help. Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Geni kit does appear to be yet another chinese clone product. No doubt what is termed good value for money, but a professional product it is not. I may be wrong, but it is a 24V/250W incandescent lightsource so isn't that bright.

I suppose a few on a bit of truss will look great in a smallish venue - but at £80, may well be good value.

Thanks for that guys.

I actually had a Geni XTC a few years ago, and yes I did find it alright for the money, however I'm now looking for something DMX controlled with rotating gobos to replace the Abstract VR8's I'm currently using, which are pretty battered, semi working and therefore unsuitable for dry hire.

Thanks for getting back to me though.

Rich

Archived