Carling Weekender

voodooman

Anyone go to Reading this weekend? what was up with the mixing on the main stage? sounded like the stack was being spun round constantly all weekend. got sorted in time for Metallica tho so thats not to bad. any one know why? or was anyone at the Leeds event and have the same thing?

It used to be 'rock industry' practise that support bands never got 100% use of equipment or levels.

I don't know if this still happens but Metallica is mixed by the mighty 'Big Mick' who has a very good reputation in the sound world.

I was at Reading and noticed the sound breezing in and out throughout the day. Saw some very good bands in the Carling small tent. Nice atmosphere and the sound was good for all bands.

I agree with thirdtap, I was at reading as a 'weekend guest' so got to mingle with the technicians.

They all seemed to be saying that the bigger bands get preference on mixer, mikes and noise boys.

There were 6 noise boys running the main stage, and most bands have there own technicians aswell. Also, they are running 2 mixers - one huge alan and heath thing, and one digital makie desk for the big stuff.

I asume the main acts get a longer sound check, and therefore get a better mix down?

feel free to correct me

it is usually the practice that the main acts get preference on all bits of kit and the support bands get all that which is not too hard/time consumptive to set up again.

they also get a shorter sound check once the main act is set and checked.

this leaves their kit ready onstage and set up with the boards. ready for the show.

the headliners stuff is also onstage ready for a fast change over.

<with me it's normally those that get there in time to tell me what they want and need get it first for bigger shows. for the larger ones, the main act normally gets there first anyway.

cheers

andrew

Isn't "Big Mick" a massive Brummie? Or is that someone else on "A Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica"?

PS: Top fact: if you watch the above named video, when they're in the NEC Birmingham, the guy crowd-surfing stage right is me! :** laughs out loud **:

Archived