Steel deck or ally?

Ynot

Greetings,

We have to look at replacing our old 8' x 2' folding rostra, and as I understand it, it's not possible to buy new folding rostra just in case someone catches their ickle fingers when setting/striking..... :headsetsmiley:

So - went out looking for alternatives.

Went to PLASA and looked at the options on the Steeldeck stand - standard steel-deck vs a couple of other types on show.

Then I was pointed at Stagedx.com for alluminium decking.

Now - I have mixed thoughts on both - I liked the Steeldeck option cos of the standard bolt-holes along the support meaning that when stringing more than one together you just use ordinary bolts - no special gizmos. Same when fixing stuff like board fronts or securing to scenery.

The Stagedex has a slot along the length of the tops into which you slide pre-made clamps with bolts to facilitate the above tasks.

Obviously the ally Stagedex is going to be lighter, but having special fittings means (a) you have to buy lots of them to do simple jobs and (b) they're going to be pretty easy to 'lose' just at the time you need them.....!

So - any thoughts/contributions? Experiences with one/both types?

Cheers

TD

Wheres this for; a school, local amdram, pro? The only thing I can say about Steeldeck is HEAVY!! They really are very heavy compared to other stuff arround.

A show I work on has just invested in some StageDex but I am yet to see it so I would be interested in oppinions on that too.

Sam

Wheres this for; a school, local amdram, pro? The only thing I can say about Steeldeck is HEAVY!! They really are very heavy compared to other stuff arround.

A show I work on has just invested in some StageDex but I am yet to see it so I would be interested in oppinions on that too.

Sam

We're a predominantly am-dram venue, though we occasionally take in touring pro/semi-pro shows & gigs. The majority of use will be amateur stuff tho.

I've always found Steeldeck the best option. Sure, it's heavy, but it's kinda 'industry standard' and everyone is familiar with it (or quickly will be). As you point out, you don't need any special widgets to use it, just add bolts and scaff (cut to whatever length you want). If the ply top wears out/falls off/catches fire/etc etc, just attach a new bit. It feels safe when you're on it (if it's put together right), and it's bomb proof. It seems to last forever. BUT it's heavy, and generally doesn't look pretty after it's been dragged around, pushed over, kicked, hammered, stored in the rain etc.

I guess in certain applications Steeldeck might not be appropriate, it's not easy to handle on your own, for example. The manual handling implications may cause more hassle than it's worth in certain situations (schools?) and if touring it might just be too heavy when combined with LX and sound and loaded into a Luton. If access is via a spiral staircase you're going to love an 8' x 4' piece of Steeldeck.....

I guess you need to assess how it's going to be used, how often, and by whom. But for a 'standard' venue (does such a thing exist?) I'd say Steeldeck all the way.

Phil

An option to look at is if it is to replace to folding Rostra is REVO stage. Its very lightweight and is folding base method with a rigid top. It can't take the weight of Steeldeck but for drum risers and the like its is ideal. It can be quite expensive but because its light its great. Only thing is its 2mtr by 1mtr.

A venue I look after has an ali deck system - the Nivoflex ultra. A few observations which may be relevant to the system you are looking at-

->It is heavy, very solid but a good two man lift. Just because it's ali doesn't mean it's light.

->It uses square tube legs, very expensive when you want alternative heights.

->It uses a cam lock to lock the legs. These have a hex hole in for a big allan key. Being ali people have managed to round out most of them making it next to impossible to do them up.

->The custom clamp arrangment around the edge is a PITA when you want to do something non-standard.

Having used a variety of different staging systems I still tend to favour (under protest) steeldeck. A lot of the other systems are fine for specific applications in specific venues but when you come to a flexible arrangement where you suddenly want a different height or layout then steeldeck tends to win as you don't need to worry about special fixings/legs it is purely scaff tube and bolts. Equally as an "industry standard" there is going to be a local hire company with that one extra sheet you need at short notice. The big disadvantage is of course the weight but as Brian says even some of the so called light systems are still a reasonable weight as a lot of the weight is the wooden top. Overall I would say you need to consider your own venue/application and if you always have the same fixed arrangement then fine otherwise I would also look at steeldeck

An option to look at is if it is to replace to folding Rostra is REVO stage. Its very lightweight and is folding base method with a rigid top. It can't take the weight of Steeldeck but for drum risers and the like its is ideal. It can be quite expensive but because its light its great. Only thing is its 2mtr by 1mtr.

Thanks - but we already have a set of RevoStage risers which form the basis of our stage extension. However, I'm considering changing that out for Steeldeck or whatever also at some stage, as we always have to pack out the floor by around an inch to get it level with the stage.

As for weight, the material you cover the frame with will often have a more significant effect on the overall weight than the frame. If 8x4s are a bit heavy/unweildy then go for 6x3s or 2mx1m pieces. Also look at what your local hire company stocks for when you want to hire more in. I quite like Maltbury's Metrodeck as an alternative to steeldeck: more flexible bolting channel rather than fixed bolt-holes; bit lighter; still tough; cheap hardware to fix it together. Maltbury also do both ranges with aluminium frames.

• 2 years later...

Archived