fake milk - help!

Berni

Perhaps that "school type" non toxic white paint mixed with water would work well...

From washing out sponges with it in I remember it produces loads of white milk looking solution and it doesn't smell much either.

This may be quite similar to what lightnix meant though.

• 1 year later...

It'd depend entirely on context, but could you use a piece of white material - silk, for example - that would look like liquid as it is thrown from a bucket, but which can easily be gotten rid of?

Obviously there is scope for humour, but whether it would work in a serious or semi-serious context...

Actually, that Raki, Pernod or Ouzo (it's all the same stuff really) idea is pretty good. The amounts you need are pretty small, so I don't think the alcoholic content will be a big issue. If the theatre is small, the smell of aniseed might be a problem, but it's the best suggestion I've seen so far.

If you don't like aniseed, I happen to know that Cointreau has the same effect. I learned this when 'topping up' the bottle after a discreet swig as a young teenager from my parent's booze cabinet. Can you say grounded? :)

How much milk and will it get into the eyes of the actor?

I would suggest suitably thined down brilliant white emulsion, not one of the vynil variaties but old fashioned water based emulsion.

And treat the costume with one of the proprietory stain repelent treatments like Scotchguard or even spray the costume with a silicone spray.

That way little of the fake milk should stick and what does should be easily removable.

• 13 years later...
I'm doing a production where the actors get the milk poured into their mouth so it needs to be edible. We can't use real milk as they're vegan so was thinking of using coconut milk as a substitute does anybody know if this cleans out of costumes easily as it will undoubtedly end up everywhere.

At school we had this requirement and very quickly found the smell of milk in wooden floor is wrong. Our solution was quite surprisingly 'Marvel' milk powder. There were several others available at the time but Marvel was the first to look right and not need loads of it. Another came close but settled very quickly in cold water

• 1 year later...

As with so many things in effects- precisely what you want to do with the object will define what solution or technology you should use. If it just has to look like milk (and whilst not drunk is at least relatively safe to get on skin / eyes / mouth) the goto in the industry at the moment is “milk tex”.