Joints Of Meat...!

Fiona

Ok....here we go again....pesky student ideas!!! :** laughs out loud **: (and they're not even back on the premises yet!!!) any suggestions on how to make large - about 4/5 ft animal carcases - like the ones you see hung in the back of the meat lorries? I know there has been a posting earlier about using the real thing - but I really don't want to go down this route (for obvious reasons!) so far my idea is to make them out of chicken wire and paper mache, and then cover with canvas to make it look more like skin, or made out of foam/sponge material.....just wondering if anyone else has done something similar.....they need to look as realistic as possible in a small studio space??!! :unsure:

How about covering it head to toe in that rubber solution you can buy, and then paint over the top of it?

I would have thought that'd look quite realistic?

Stu

Er I wouldn't know about the Kinky part :huh: :** laughs out loud **:

Anyhow, I'm not sure what kind of quanities you can get it in, but it comes runny and sets hard - I've seen it being used to blend over radio mics and the like I think...

I'll have to ask the person I last saw using it...

But when it sets it's skin colour and texture, so once painted or touched up it'd probably look quite meatish!

:)

Stu

This may be a bit of a roundabout way of doing it, but why don't you try getting in touch with anyone thats done 'The Slab Boys'? Apparently it usually necessitates loads of fake carcasses. If no-one has them to borrow, they might give you a clue as to how they did it? :** laughs out loud **:

This may be a bit of a roundabout way of doing it, but why don't you try getting in touch with anyone thats done 'The Slab Boys'? Apparently it usually necessitates loads of fake carcasses. If no-one has them to borrow, they might give you a clue as to how they did it? :** laughs out loud **:

Or The Gut Girls needs several animal carcasses

I think we have a few made from chicken wire and mache but I'm not sure if they'll be realistic enough for you.

PM me if you want more details

I think the "rubber solution" may be latex - you can use copydex it's similar, it would come down to price. it comes in different consistencies - pouring or "slush" latex and "dipping" latex. Flints sell it, (page 44) but I've no idea whether theirs is a good price - I haven't actually bought any for a long time...

Go with the chicken wire but instead of paper mache, which will be messy to work with and a bugger to stick, sew on a layer of heavy paper a few sheets thick. Use string as your thread. Then stick a few 'smoothing' layers of paper on top with wallpaper paste (lots of). When dry this gives a very tough, smooth surface which takes paint well.

The paper I've used for this is the type that large (I'm talking 50kg capacity) bags are made of. Living in a rural area means I can get these from local farmers. They are the type of bag that feed-stuffs come in. Failing that a thick brown paper will do.

• 1 month later...

All hail Brian!!

The papier mache idea has worked a treat! Thoroughly reccommend this way of dealing with large chicken wire props as the most superior!! The base layer of paper makes sticking the papier mache on much easier and gives a more professional finish....and it is really tough and hard wearing!!! HOORAH FOR MR FAIRCHILD!!!! ;) :D

Archived