Kettles

andy jackson

The powers that be have just updated some H&S bits and bobs, I was reading through the new guidelines for our spaces and I noticed a sentence which reads...

"Electrical appliences... DO NOT use kettles near other electrical apperatus or mirrors"

Now I can understand why they shouldn't be used near other appliences but cant fathom why not near mirrors? unless one could mistake the image for the real thing and knock it over , but does this act of stupidity warrant a section in our operational health and safety guidelines?!

There is also a part which informs performers not to use live amunition in fire arms. it doesnt speify if this instruction is for use in our spaces or a a general rule of thumb to live by!

Andy

Never heard that one before! Perhaps they're concerned about steam from the kettle condensing on the mirror, and dripping back down onto the surface that the kettle's standing on.

Or they are afraid of people drawing smilie faces in the mirror and burning themselves (don't laugh - we had one at my 'place of employ' (thank god it was only for a month) that was under a mirror. We had at least 4 people burning their arms because they leant over the kettle and drew on the mirror... How stupid can you get?)

Never heard that one before! Perhaps they're concerned about steam from the kettle condensing on the mirror, and dripping back down onto the surface that the kettle's standing on.

Or they are afraid of people drawing smilie faces in the mirror and burning themselves (don't laugh - we had one at my 'place of employ' (thank god it was only for a month) that was under a mirror. We had at least 4 people burning their arms because they leant over the kettle and drew on the mirror... How stupid can you get?)

It probably is that! Of course someone stupid enough to do that is also gullible enough to call in the ambulence chasers. I know through person experience that it's cheaper to settle than fight these bloodsuckers.

A Tour Manager we had in last week, looking after a solo speaker, said that one venue to which they had toured had a rule that said you couldn't have a kettle in a dressing room. He explained that if the artiste couldn't make himself a cup of tea then there would be no show. A kettle was provided on the understanding that no-one was to know (hence the lack of venue name in this post!). Apparently it's OK to make tea at home, but not in a dressing room. I'm glad to say that the kettle was automatically placed in his dressing room as a courtesy before he arrived at our place.

A Tour Manager we had in last week, looking after a solo speaker, said that one venue to which they had toured had a rule that said you couldn't have a kettle in a dressing room.  He explained that if the artiste couldn't make himself a cup of tea then there would be no show.  A kettle was provided on the understanding that no-one was to know (hence the lack of venue name in this post!). Apparently it's OK to make tea at home, but not in a dressing room.  I'm glad to say that the kettle was automatically placed in his dressing room as a courtesy before he arrived at our place.

Sorry to be serious a moment , but it could be that the electrical supply to the dressing room wasn't up to it, apparently quite a few student digs have their 13A sockets supplied by a 5A supply. Plug in kettle, pop goes the fuse.

I know of at least one venue, in Gosport, where a 13A fused spur, feeds the houselights, emergency lights, small 6 channel mixer amp, AND a 13A socket. There is helpfully a label by the socket saying "No power tools Audio equipment only"

Sorry to be serious a moment , but it could be that the electrical supply to the dressing room wasn't up to it, apparently quite a few student digs have their 13A sockets supplied by a 5A supply. Plug in kettle, pop goes the fuse.

No, this was definitely a H&S thing. Although, obviously, I didn't see the risk assessment it came from. ("Everyone who uses any item pulling more than 8 Amps should have an electrical qualification"? ;) )

[Controversial]

Having both been on complex risk assessment training myself and given basic risk assessment training, it always annoys me when other people simply get it wrong. The village cricket team is the perfect example.

Reputable news reporting (the 'Today' programme) told that a village green had had a huge, very high, ugly fence erected, spoiling the look of the ancient grounds because a cricket team played there. A risk assessment had been commissioned by the local council which said a cricket ball may be hit for a 6 which continues off the green and smashes through a passing car window. This could result in serious injury or death to driver or passenger. Hence the ugly fence. When asked how long the team had been playing on the green an answer in the hundreds of years was given. "And how many times has a ball been hit that has smashed into a passing vehicle?" "Never" came the reply.

Clearly the risk assessment was flawed because it only looked at how serious any injury could be and had not looked at how likely an incident was to happen. Seriousness 9/10, likelihood 1/10 = risk factor 9/100 - acceptable risk. Easy.

[/controversial]

Seems to me the same thing has happened with the kettle. If anything was to go wrong the injury could be quite bad (severe burns) but as we all use kettles every day we know about the risk and are used to dealing with it, thus the likelihood of an incident is low (maybe 8x2=16 - acceptable risk).

It would be interesting to see the risk assessment regarding kettles and mirrors.

P.S. Rider- other Risk Assessment methadologies are available. Please don't take the above examples as a lesson on how to assess risk. There's more to it than a few brief words)

Perhaps, odd as it may seem, and I am not placed to know this for sure, but maybe in the past in the venue in question, an accident involving kettles and mirrors happened, and someone was hurt?

Thus the venue forbids kettles and mirrors from meeting again, to prevent nasty accident occuring once more...

Archived