ampex ado100 help?!

joeybancroft

hi, ive recently bought an ampex ado 100 DVE for a project, it all lights up and some of the menus seem to work etc, but when I plug a monitor and a feed (in this case a dvd player) into the rack the outputs are blank no matter what I try to do, I also notice that some of the menus dont seems to functions correctly, (i.e. the video setup menu you cant change alot of the parameters, and is the same for most other menus), it has a key input on the back, does this have to be connected up or can it be left blank, I know that the key input is some sort of frame sync. I subsequently bought another one and that seems the same so I presume its something I am doing (or not doing) that is the problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Tried to search the net but nothing much came up. thanks joe

Blimey, it's a while since I've worked on one of these.

Question...

is it a composite or component version?

The Key input is not some sort of sync signal, it is a seperate (B/W) video input which can be manipulated along with the main signal.

Also, you may find that the DVD signal is not stable enough for the ADO. And the DVD is outputting PAL?

One thought - if it's a domestic dvd then it won't be genlockable and I am almost certain that as the ampex digi-optical range was full broadcast spec it needs synchronised source inputs - Most people ran them from a decent centralised sync source. I'm not even certain it contains a sync generator of its own - is there a genlock or sync input bnc? If there is, if you've a camera with a timecode output, use that into the genlock in and see if it locks up?

It's a DVE (Digital Video Effects). IIRC I bought my first one in about 1992/3, so yes, it's old. Stick a picture source into it and resize it, fly it around, flip it etc etc. You could also get a 'warp' option to bend the picture onto curvilinear surface.

Just a thought but this DVD player wouldn't have macrovision enabled would it?

There is nothing worse than macrovision for screwing up professional broadcast equipment.

Anyway, you will need to lock this beast up to something (why why why) so try taking a second composite output of the DVD into the ref input which should lock it up to itself.

James

Archived