Sharpen Your Pencils And Count Your Knobs

Jessie Hoggett

The other day my other half asked me 'why do you have to have so many knobs on a desk?' My stock response was that it shows how important you are, but on the off chance he might prefer a sensible answer, I thought you might enjoy the challenge of explaining in sound-for-dummies terminology.

It's a test of Darwinian theory - to see if, over time, sound engineers adapt to their environment by growing extra fingers to operate the desk with. Those that do, keep their jobs and therefore survive. Those that don't, lose their jobs and starve. It's just like Cabbage-White Butterflies. With knobs on.

Not sure I understand the question - they all do something, so you need them all....

I guess the overall answer is that you need instantly acessible control over a large number of variables. Which are then repeated for each channel. Menus and things aren't the ideal solution. (Prepares to be shot down by a digital enthusiast...)

It's surely a little the same as asking "why does a piano have so many keys"?

You may not use them all everytime you sit down to play - but they are THERE if you need them!! :** laughs out loud **:

Of course the best way to answer the original question is to get the member of the public to watch you take a cue - particularly if this SFX cue has associated desk automation and LX triggers.

The look on someone's face when all the faders on the sound desk start moving by themselves... :** laughs out loud **:

[the more nobs you have the more important you are.]This responce always makes the vidiots angry as they seem to have fewer nobs and buttons an fewer vu's than me. They do have fewer controls than the Lampies though, but do have more monitors. (sort of makes em feel better). Recentley started playing with smaart live. looks dead flash running nicley on a laptop sat on a well populated play back rack. :** laughs out loud **: Got some big shows going out soon will send a photo in. maybe we could start a competition. most complex FOH position wins!

Surely it's the ratio of controls to audience members that's the winner? Anyone can have a lot of kit in Wembley Arena...

So - I'll post later a pic of "the Submarine" a tiny little room into which we crammed:

24 channel A&H GL3

Full FOH and Monitor Rack

Strand 430

4xpreview monitor

2 video switchers

Vision mixer

Video projector (for on-wall show monitor) (we'd run out of monitors - there were 12-odd on the set.)

All for about 40 audience members.

Picture to follow when I get home...

This responce always makes the vidiots angry as they seem to have fewer nobs and buttons an fewer vu's than me.

Hmm - depends on the video rig - I mean most video knobs are all hidden but when you are in the analog domain with tbc's on every source and eq on each da then you end with a huge number... But it should realy be set and leave though...

Is video this decade's sound?

Archived