Best value radio mic kit

Mr Steve

The aim is to get a system that sounds as good as a 58 for a lot less money?

JTS make great cheap mics.

Shure also make cheap mics.

People still by 58's.

The real question is - Are JTS mics good value? = yes.

If you ask Are JTS as good as, or better than Shure? then sadly, no

My experience is that cheaper brands often will do very similar jobs, but rarely as well. The difference is sometimes small, and livable with. You will, of course, convince yourself that what you have is just as good, if not better. Human nature.

Will Sure's SM58 radio mic kit will do a better job than the JTS kit?

I ask because it's a very similar price.

Cheers. Rich

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will Sure's SM58 radio mic kit will do a better job than the JTS kit?

I ask because it's a very similar price.

Cheers. Rich

You need to look at what you're getting from a number of different points of view.

On the one hand: The Shure system you are looking at is probably (I'm guessing) a fixed frequency VHF system.

For a similar price JTS would give you a frequency agile UHF system, which would bring more flexibility & everyone loves UHF...

Therefore JTS is better.

On the other hand: The Shure system comes from a brand that is recognised across the planet. I have heard / used many (along with countless others).

It has proven reliability from thousands of units in production. The SM58 is widely recognised as the industry standard microphone of the last 30 odd years (BTW - that doesn't mean it is the best or that there aren't better options out there). Spares (should you require them) will be readily available for a reasonably long time.

JTS has yet to prove itself in the bigger market. I've never used / heard them (along with countless others).

Will it perform as well (sonically, rf strength, will it be prone to dropouts, any design faults waiting to appear? If other people are using other manufacturers products in the same venue, will it cause problems?) Will the mic capsule be up to task? Will the pickup pattern / frequency response be a little barmy?

They're all important questions that I can't answer.

Therefore Shure is better.

In all honesty, I don't know which is better. I think you need to look at the merits or otherwise of each system and make a decision - fully aware that you're making the safe & limiting choice or that you're making a dangerous choice in order to get more features.

I am fully aware that JTS could well be the TVR of radiomic brands. Shure could be considered the Vauxhall. We just don't know yet. (Who'd have thought the little company from Blackpool that started making weird cars would end up as it is now?)

I am very curious about JTS. I might try & get my hands on one and try it out.

Just some random thoughts whilst I avoid work... again.

Dave M

The aim is to get a system that sounds as good as a 58 for a lot less money?

JTS make great cheap mics.

Shure also make cheap mics.

People still by 58's.

The real question is - Are JTS mics good value? = yes.

If you ask Are JTS as good as, or better than Shure? then sadly, no

My experience is that cheaper brands often will do very similar jobs, but rarely as well. The difference is sometimes small, and livable with. You will, of course, convince yourself that what you have is just as good, if not better. Human nature.

Hey... I was stating my opinion, based on the frequency response of the two different capsules... maybe you weren't having a go... but just thought I should clarify.

Ta

David

/to corner

No problem.. wasn't having a go. To be fair, in my experience it depends on what the customer/talent want. I've just been told sennheiser isn't as good as a 58 radio head. As I said, not better/worse, just different. That said, I suspect I couldn't command the same price for a JTS system at the moment, no matter how good/bad - just the way it is, I guess.

• 9 months later...

I don't think this is a "Personal Oppinion" issue for anyone else on this forum, The JTS US-1000D/A Condenser capsule sounds and performs better than an SM58 and I would even say it sounds just as good as the BETA 87A capsule, and the JTS US-900 series Condenser Capsule sounds easily as good as a BETA58A!

I think that one may need to actually use both mic systems and not just asume that the JTS capsule would sound less good than the Shure capsules.

In short, why Say "Do they sound as good as Shure, NO!" when you have obviously not used either system; if you had, I will assure you that you would have a very different opinion.

As I said - no problems at all with personal opinions - the snag is that certain brands don't have the kudos - yet. I don't think anybody would pretend SM58s are the 'best' microphones ever - there are quite a few that sound better. However, sound quality isn't the only issue. I have some really dodgy looking 58s. some have rusty grills, having been out in the open, quite a few that have been dropped, judging from the battered heads. The point I'm trying to make is that they all carry on working. I'm not sure they are as good as new - but the design is sufficiently hardy to justify many people using them because they have a good reliability record, and sound kind of OK. JTS like many more eastern companies don't keep products in production long enough for any single item to become a standard in any shape or form. The mic capsule you like so muchprobably won't be the same one they use in a couple of years when the OEM source moves on - and JTS have no option but to change designs again. As an example, I bought a brand new SM57 in 1980 - this one got looked after and I don't know which of my 57s it is! That is what makes a standard. The fact that Shure carry on making them is testament to the success and durability of the design. Killing off the worlds most well know (note - not best) snare drum mic would be crazy. I suspect they hope people gradually start to move to betas - but until they do..........

Think about Skoda cars. I understand their current range are stunning - used by the police in some forces as a decent pursuit car! Only a few years ago we used to make jokes about them. I am not saying JTS are Skodas of yesteryear - but they have a long uphill struggle to get to where Shure have been. You like them. That's great. My local music shop gave me a really nice catalogue. The trouble for me is that I know what a Shure or Senn or AKG sounds like - I won't buy a JTS until I have a chance to try them. Next time I need another 58 do I simply order one, or 'borrow' a JTS or similar and try it on a gig or two, then decide later. I don't have the time - so I'll stick with what I know. Like eating in restaurants - try something new and hate it, or have a steak?

On the subject of radio mics, if second hand is acceptable, there are some stonking deals to be had in the older VHF gear.

I just picked up 4 sets of Sennheiser SK2012 packs plus receivers, ADA, aerials and flightcase for <£300 total. The Lapels will end up costing me more then the radio rig did.

Now I could have had a single G2 for about the same sort of money, but I don't think anybody (outside the west end) will turn their noses up at what was about eight grands worth back in the day (This is 20 year old kit, but was top of the line in its day).

Also note the concern about the possibility of the 860Mhz band being sold off for other uses once analogue TV is shut down in a few years, see the JFMG site for more details.

Just another option.

BTW: If anyone knows what the Sennheiser "Microdot" connector is actually called please let me know (They are smaller then SMA).

Regards, Dan.

• 9 months later...
Dear Steve,

Take a look at the JTS range:

JTS at www.buearan.co.uk

I have sold several of these to local schools and Churches and they've all been delighted. The transmitter is in a sturdy metal-shrouded case, the receivers are metal cased with XLR and Jack outputs. You even get remote battery indication gauge on the receiver. The mic supplied now is a tiny little thing, about 3mm in diameter.

The retail price for a single kit is about £260, and that is 193 channels UHF, some of which are in the license-free band. I bought a bunch of them because I was so impressed. This is one of my racks inc the antenna distro. It's out on hire a lot.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/petealcock/RadioMicRack.jpg

I submit this is the best value radio mic kit around now.

Cheers,

Pete.

Have to say, from experience I would go with Pete on this one, I started selling these about 2 years ago after trying one out. For a relatively cheap microphone I was very impressed, we cleared our hire stock of standard fixed frequency Shure SM58 VHF radio mics (about 5 of them) and replaced them with these, they were just soo much nicer.

Feedback rejection was better.

UHF band is much more reliable than VHF.

To my ear they sounded better than the standard SM58. Possibly not quite as good as a beta58, but certainly giving it some serious competition.

Having read a lot of posts about this, I have to emphasise the fact that what sounds best, is to a certain extent a matter of opinion, but to put things in perspective over the last 12 months Ive sold over 50 JTS UD901DA systems, and 1 shure sm58 system. Out of the 50 JTS systems Ive sold Ive had 2 with minor faults that have been replaced under warranty, these were both with the on/off switch, which if anything is the weak point of this microphone, if you are hamfisted and clumsy, it is possible to break the switch.

If I was going to be really, really fussy, I can find only one criticism of the US901DA, and thats the handling noise, if you're the type of person to not keep your hands still on the mic, the capsule will pick up noise from your fingers tapping the barrel, it's minor, but I have heard mics that are better.

On the PLUS side you can buy a single US901 kit for about £220, which is an amazing price considering what you get.

3 segment Battery strength indicator on transmitter (not just a battery low indicator like many cheaper mics)

Decent sturdy foam lined carry case.

7 interchangeable end caps, each one a different colour. So if you're using mutliple systems, it's easy to tell which is which!

Sensitivity adjustment on Transmitter, you can adjust this to suit people talking quietly, or alternatively people shouting/singing, that way you can maximise signal to noise ratio.

Loads of frequencies, you will never run out.

AND NOW they have launched the US901DD system with a Hyper-Cardioid condenser capsule!

• 3 months later...

Hey I've been using the JTS NX gear and I think they're unreal! I've been working with the Shure SM58 and SM57 gear for a long time and I still do but I've found that after hearing the NX-8 (Beta 58 copy) the SM-58 just sounds dull and much more prone to feedback!!

http://www.sgu.dk/products/NX-8.jpghttp://www.shure.com/stellent/groups/public/@gms_gmi_web_us/documents/web_resource/site_img_us_pro_sm58s_m.jpg

The JTS NX-8 is substantially cheaper than the SM58 and it holds qualities of the Beta 58 I personally would choose the JTS NX gear over the SM gear even with cost aside because I feel I can drive the NX Gear much harder than the SM gear and with a slightly richer tone

There also rumours flying around of previous history between JTS and Shure in that JTS is said to have previously made Shure's Mic Capsules back when they were just an OEM company but I can't be certain

Have a listen to both and see what you think but be aware, stay away from the TX and PDM gear because they struggle to meet the mark!!

Hello again,

I'm looking to buy two new lav radio mics, but am not the most experienced when it comes to specifying new sound kit. I like the look of the Sennheiser G2 EW100 series as these seem to be a decent brand. These will be used in a secondary school/6th form for theatre and open evening talks etc.

What would you recommend? Are there similar quality brands which would be cheaper, or more rugged?

EDIT: who do you find to be the best supplier of your radio mics?

I recently bought some Sennheiser G2 EW322 mics to use for pretty much the same thing and they have been faultless. Sturdy, clear as a bell and useful features like battery indicator on the receiver, backlight changes from green to red when mic is muted or off. (Not sure if they appear on the EW100 series.) I haven't regretted buying them.

Also, they take AA batteries and two decent ones will last a good while (did two complete shows at least) which saves a fortune compared to PP3's.

Used these when I was sound engineer on tour with Welsh Playwright Frank Vickery. Needed to be on -30dB on the transmitter and no gain on the desk. That how good these mics are. Definitely recommend them.

Archived