Process for getting flying point installed

lonfire

Hi,

as some of u know I am currently involved in a project to take over a disused school building to be used for our church..

as part of this I'm looking into having some flying points installed in the roof to fly some trussing off..

whats the process for this? structural engineer -> rigging company..

or will a rigging company do it all for us?

any ideas what cost.. we are only talking 2 x 6m truss's perhaps.. with 6 pars and 4 small scans on each.. we have the truss..

also we want some eye bolts put in the walls for suspending material/drapes.. I guess this will need to be done by an appropriate company?

anybody know of any local rigging companies (we are in marlow, bucks).. will they come and have a look for us?

thanks

chris

Get an Engineer into check the roof. He will then assess the roofs ability to support the load if it has any. If it's an old building, you may find that the roof will not have the capacity to support any more loading by the time snow and wind load is calc'd. He will then specify what loads you can place and where on the roof. From here I'd get a rigging company into design the rigging you require.

Or go to a rigging company direct, as they are much more likely to have access to an engineer who is aware of the requirements of the installation as well as being able to offer advice on other solutions if flying is not an option. You would do well to go to more than one company and get competitive quotes as well as seeing different approaches.

Hi, I've been involved in doing a similar project over the last few years with an old cinema so have a bit of experience under my belt now!

You will need to get your structural engineers to approve the proposed weight loadings on the building but it may well be better to get a rigging company in first to have a look at what you are wanting to do and make some proposals first.

In my experience, unless you have a specifically entertainment orientated structural engineer, they will not be very familiar with what is involved.

The rigging co would draw up some proposals including the method of fixing and the structural engineer will rubber stamp it and you can get on with the work.

I don't know anyone in your area who does this kind of thing. We got Pete Smith from Tomcat UK to do most of the work in our venue and I can recommend him as someone who knows what he's talking about.

As for putting in eyebolts for drapes, you could get a rigging co to do it but your building contractor should be able to supply and fit them easily... (and normally a helluva lot cheaper!). As long as you use them within the manufacturer's intended use then you will be fine.

Hope that helps, feel free to PM me if you want any more advice.

Sam

I'd recommend Pete 'Spliffy' Smith too. He did the rigging training I undertook, and Masterminded with the install of the Mother Grid System at The Centaur.

Petes top drawer and a good friend as well. I worked with him on the Centaur job (I subbed him in for Tomcat who supplied the grid and equipment). Although I wouldn't go as far as to call him the "Mastermind" behind it all :angry:

Great thing about him is he knows his onions on lifting legislation as well. Thoroughly recommend him. As someone says, just don't let him stop to talk to you!!!

hi,

thanks for the help quys.. can somebody give me a quick idea of cost for this sort of thing.. say for example I needed 3 rigging points to hang a 6m length of trussing.. that'll have a max of 100kg including truss weight.. dead hung so no hoists.. already got the truss..

I know this is very difficult as you don't know what the building is like.. I doubt theres any steal up there.. probably just wood..

how about this question might be easier.. how much would it cost to get somebody out to look for us?

there are some sort of rigging points in the roof from when the school had ropes hanging from them for PE/games... I suppose that might mean theres something more substaintial up there..

thanks

chris

Chris - most companies will not charge to come along and quote for a job. It is very worthwhile getting more than one company to quote as there can be quite a difference in prices for the job. Having said that, the cheapest ain't always the best solution.

Try ringing : Tomcat UK 0151 482 3100

Unusual Rigging 01604 830083

Also possibly:

Summit Steel 01580 714754

Nippy Industries 01480 431555

Vertigo Rigging 0208 6946033

I only have personal experience with Tomcat and Unusual.

It doesn't sound like a major job to me but I haven't seen the building.

HTH, Sam

Archived