Multiple Visuals On Multiple Screens

shellshox

Hi, am a newbie in this and need help!!

I'm doing a multi media theatre project and have been chosen to handle this just cos I know video editing...

The project consist of a "pulse" visual going from TV screen No.1 all the way to No.6 in one straight arrow. So that it looks as if the pulse is going from left to right, across 6 TV screens and back again to TV No.1.

And then at random points, the TV screens will fill up with various montages, making it seem as if each screen is showing a different channel, before converting back to the "pulse" visual.

Am wondering if there are any equipment that can output differnt video tracks to different screens and then combined the screen into 1 giant screen.

I have no experience with visual mixers or splitters so am not sure what it can or cannot do. Please help....

For a show on the ship that had a very similar effect, we used a video matrix (8x8) controlled by SMPTE timecode. (actually there was then a second 8x8, for some even cleverer stuff, but anway). takes ages to setup, even longer to programme, and costs a fortune.

Or you could take a look at the Digital Binloop from Alcorn McBride. That will do what you want. Reliably? Now that's another question..... :)

There are a group who have visited my old high school a few times called motivational media who did things like that. There were 2 different setups I saw - the first was a multi-headed computer system (ie multiple graphics cards) which were each plugged into a projector. The second they used sycronised dvd players.

Thanks for the all the help guys! Will go through all your advises. I went through each thread in the forum but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Bryson - Yeah, I think the video matrix is closer to what I think it should be but....

P.Funk - I think that's more to my budget and expertise, ha ha...

Thanks again for the suggestions, will write in again if I find a solution ( or if I've more questions!)

What about 6 DMX controllable DMX Players, then you know that they will all be triggered at exactly the same time (well to a few milliseconds I should imagine)

Sam

or just six of the same model DVD player, then the one remote should control all of them if you stand back a bit. Place the screens a few cm appart to smoth out any delay.

I'm going to be looking at some new software that simulates multi screen video walls through 1 data projector onto a partioned screen next saturday at an open air jazz gig we are teching. I will post a report then. Its brand new software so it could be very interesting. I'll either post here or in technical disasers thread.

Hey, anyone have any experience using this pci card/machine before? It looks promising for my project....

http://www.multiscreenvideo.com/html/mosaic.html

It seems very promising, but keep in mind that you have to run the clip with some kind of player, quick time, winamp, bsplayer etc. and all these players act different in multi screen configuration....

What about 6 DMX controllable DMX Players, then you know that they will all be triggered at exactly the same time (well to a few milliseconds I should imagine)

Sam

or just six of the same model DVD player, then the one remote should control all of them if you stand back a bit. Place the screens a few cm appart to smoth out any delay.

if you mean DMX hard disk players, yes thats a good solution, but if you mean DMX or RS232 DVD players (like Pioneer 7400) than you could have some problems because they have to be in sync and they have mechanical parts which sometimes don't react in same way....

One month ago I was working on a theatre show with one dance group from Brasil, they had 6 video clips showing on 6 plasmas and they had to be in sync, because dancers act on the floor and then they appear on plasma and jump from one to another, which was of course pre recorded. They told me that they have used 6 Pioneers 7400, with Dataton software for synchronization, don't know exactly which software was it, but they had problems. As I mentioned earlier I think that problem was of mechanical nature even if all players were same model.

Because they could give me material only on DVD I deicide to use multichannel mpeg2 player. I just had to extract streams from DVD to mpeg2 program stream and to load them into the players. Final result was excellent, all 6 clips were in sync and created a very dynamic effect during the show.

These players are not cheap, but I am shure that you can hire it somewhere near you.

Cheers.

Viktor

Archived