Fire-proof foam

richard

You can use Flamecheck or MSL Firecheck to effectively fireproof foam rubber, polystyrene, etc. Could work out cheaper than buying pre-treated materials.

1litre covers approx 10-12 metres squared, available in hand-held sprays or larger containers/drums.

Do a quick google for these, or PM me for more info.

Barney

There really is NO such thing as firePROOF foam except low density concrete. All other products are fire retardent. The foam you have and the fire retardant you chose have to be selected to bring the fireretardance up to the standard required by your licence (etc) Even foam polystyrene can be fire-retarded for stage use.

This is waaaaaaay off my list of competences, but I seem to remember that foam as in 'foam rubber' gives off a toxic (?) gas when burnt.

Presumably if you flame retard it, it could still burn and produce the gas.

Simon Lewis probably knows a lot more about this? (Hi Simon)

I only mention it because a long time ago, a fire caused by a festoon lamp resting on some stored 'foam rubber' made a fellow very ill when he breathed in the smoke whilst trying to put out the fire.

Foam rubber is foul and dirty when it chars or burns, Old (but still common) furniture foam was polyurethane and decomposed on heating to every known compound of H C and N inc HCN hydrogen cyanide hence the smoke kills message! Newer foams are slightly more friendly when overheated, but not safe. If youe are going to use a foam and fire retard it then the product needs to be tested to your desired standard or licence terms. Still if there is a risk of applied heat causing thermal degraration thes must be taken into the RA.

Please minimise the amount of foam and use the best product for the job.

This foam is actually to be used for audience seating - I have found suitable stuff before but it does cost a fortune.

I have been advised against using flam-bar etc as the foam is not absorbant, it just runs off..

Richard

It's some time since I practiced chemistry ( thanks for the mention though Chris!).

My recollection is that flame retardant foams are made that way, rather than being given a spray on treatment. For example, some foams used for acoustic treatment have a melamine content, so when heat or flame is applied, the foam chars and does not present fresh material to burn.

There will be other issues concerning resistance to heat, degree of smoke generation, smoke composition and self extinguishing properties.

The nature of the breakdown products mentioned above obviously depend on the type of foam that is burning, but apart from the possibility of cyanogens, quantities of the monomer and carbon monoxide will be formed.

It is usually the latter that proves fatal in the fire itself, closely followed by the effects of smoke inhalation.

I'd concur with the advice given to you - use the correct commercially available foam, and don't try treating it yourself...

Simon

• 4 weeks later...

;)

Hello

Does anyone know when I can source fire-proof (NDFR) foam for use in a theatre?

It is all quite expensive so if anyone knows any good suppliers that would be great!

Thanks

Richard

Dear Richard,

It is possible to get foam which has a class 1 fire rating (phenolic foam), unfortunately it is also extremely expensive. Some foams do have a class 2 fire rating, basically this means that they will not encourage the spread of flame and will self-extinguish the minute the source of the flame is removed (they have a fire retardent in them). Another poster mentioned fire proof coatings - this is probably your best bet in conjunction with a foam product. If you are looking for sprayed on foam with a class 2 fire rating, then you should try www.spray-insulation.co.uk/foam%20stage%20props.htm

If you don't want a sprayed foam then your best bet would be polystyrene with a fire proof coating.

There is little thats truly fireproof in theatre except the bricks and concrete. Talk to the licence holder and the fire officer and find the required approvals for the upholstery foam then contact a theatre fitter to get seats or foam to the required spec.. Do they actually use foam? Hair filled upholstery is more retardant than foam. Ask theatre fitters for their advice and quote..

Archived