Chroma scrollers control

Nicktaylor

I used to use these all the time but since LEDs they have languished in my store. I have decided to use a pair in a show and setup the DMX address and fixture into a Solution desk. 
However for some reason the scroll control seems the wrong way round. I have 100% set on a sub master for the full travel of the scroll

However when the sub goes to 5% the scroll screams to the other end then as you increase moves back towards the start colour

Its almost like it needs to be reversed 

Any ideas where I should look?

Elsewhere someone suggest using DMX polarity swap I suppose like with some old Martin kit? In answer to that I say the scrollers always used to work in a normal way. There are various DMX cables in the feed but as far as I can see the rest of the rig is working as expected, LED pars, some movers etc so I cant see the cables are swapped anywhere because everything else appears okay!

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Nicktaylor said:

I used to use these all the time but since LEDs they have languished in my store. I have decided to use a pair in a show and setup the DMX address and fixture into a Solution desk. 

Any ideas where I should look?

How are you using it on the Solution? Is it patched as a dimmer? If you have it patched with a fixture profile which is using say Beam, then at 5% fader the Solution will release the channel (assuming you're just playing with faders for now and don't have a tracked cue stack) which will send the scroller the default DMX value which might be what is sending the scroller screaming back the other way. Just a thought.

I have in the past used the Rainbow scrollers with my FLX and they have behaved as expected from what I recall.

If you're using them in anger then worth patching the composite fixture Dimmer+Scroller then you can exploit move on dark desk functionality for colour changes.

Edited by kgallen
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Nicktaylor said:

I have 100% set on a sub master for the full travel of the scroll

However when the sub goes to 5% the scroll screams to the other end then as you increase moves back towards the start colour

If you have patched a Generic Scroller fixture into the console, set this to 255, and then recorded this to a playback fader, make sure that the playback is set to "Fader Controls Colour". Otherwise as soon as you raise the playback fader, the scroller will fade to the level you recorded over the console's default colour fade time. To enable Fader Controls Colour, hold SETUP and tap your playback's flash button. Then choose Colour under Fader Controls, so that it has a red stripe, and then click OK. Now, the playback fader will act as a crossfader, to control the scroller from its current value through to the level you recorded.