AKG C747 lectern microphone equivalent

Barney

Hi all,

Been a while since I've been in the live sound field, but I recall we used to use the AKG C747 mic on lecterns and top tables many years ago. In my day job now, we have occasional need for a lectern that could do with a fixed mic - think small office presentations etc.

We have a couple of radio mics anyway, but my question is - is there an equivalent type of lectern mic to the C747 that is a bit more budget friendly? It won't be used often enough to go to the full AKG level. We'll probably need two, either side of the lectern, due to the use of laptops that could mask a central mic position.

If I remember, the C747 was phantom-powered. A cheaper alternative that utilises an AAA or AA battery would be acceptable in this instance, especially as the existing PA system does not have a 12-48V power option. We could add a discrete power injector I suppose, but still...

Many thanks in advance!
Barney

I'm a big fan of a DPA4099 on lecterns, or the 4098 if you want something lectern specific - however that's probably above your budget level.

Most miniature lectern mics will want phantom power, and external AA battery boxes aren't really a thing like they used to be. A cheap mixer in the lectern podium might be a good cheap solution to supply phantom power?

The cheap CPC gooseneck mics are passable if you're happy to accept reduced gain before feedback. I wouldn't go for 2 mics unless you have someone mixing who can dynamically choose which is getting the best signal. Having 2 mics open at the lectern simultaneously is likely to cause comb filtering issues and reduce the gain before feedback.

I'm in the process of retirement clearout and have one 747 available if interested, It's been used less than 5 times (only appears twice on my 'kit used' records started in 2009).

I will be listing other kit when weather is more predictable and can have a decent sort out.

Sorry if the following seems to be a sales pitch, it just offering my opinion:  I used to install 747's and AT's in lecterns, usually dependant on consultants spec, personally I preferred the improved GBF performance of the 747 and upgraded from AT to 747 a number of times. Sound wise I never had a direct A/B comparison but didn't ever think one had an edge over the other once EQ'd. Other advantages; they didn't suffer with going floppy due to being played with, only required a 10mm hole for mounting, less shock noise from the lectern. I'll go further and add I may still have some used AT's and wouldn't want to put people off buying them

Edited by sunray

747s in the age of mobile phones - I'd not be buying more unless they've done something to cure the susceptibility to picking up network handshakes!

That said, I'm setting up a pair this afternoon for a talk.

1 hour ago, Andrew C said:

747s in the age of mobile phones - I'd not be buying more unless they've done something to cure the susceptibility to picking up network handshakes!

That said, I'm setting up a pair this afternoon for a talk.

Not an issue specific to 747's that I've been aware of.

The lectern mic that really stood out with that problem for me was a CPC version of 925's, no longer stocked. I had 4 and sent them all back, they also had problems with AFILS feedback.

3 hours ago, Andrew C said:

I believe, in my current investigations into lectern mics, that the v11 model has 'RFi shielding technology to prevent interference noise from mobile phones' 🙂

6 hours ago, Andrew C said:

Mine are AT LEAST 15 years old; probably north of 20.

Yep, mine too. I used to borrow one if available from where I worked. When they made me redundant in 2002 (due to downturn in work caused by 9/11) I accepted the unused 747 as part of the package. So 22 years.

We didn't hold stock (other than consumables & sundries), the 747 had been purchased prior to 9/11 for a job which was subsequently cancelled. so a win-win deal was struck.

We use the AT925's as our standard teaching gooseneck mic, though still have 747's for "prestigious" events like graduation ceremonies. No real complaints on the 925's - great little mic for the price!

25 minutes ago, Andrew C said:

I've just seen how £prestigious a 747 is now.

Presumably they are still hand-carved out of ingots of precious metal, but the gnomes now demand executive pay rates🤔

• Funny 1

On 2/28/2024 at 12:46 PM, sunray said:

Not an issue specific to 747's that I've been aware of.

The lectern mic that really stood out with that problem for me was a CPC version of 925's, no longer stocked. I had 4 and sent them all back, they also had problems with AFILS feedback.

Audio Technica certainly made quite a thing about their microphones being re-engineered to reduce RF interference. I'm guessing that the rise of mobile communications meant that such a move was inevitable...

5 hours ago, Simon Lewis said:

Audio Technica certainly made quite a thing about their microphones being re-engineered to reduce RF interference. I'm guessing that the rise of mobile communications meant that such a move was inevitable...

Now you mention that I remember the change of tech sheet that came with AT8033's.