iphone external audio

IA76

Hi

Is there a way to feed audio from the XLR output of a mixer to an iphone?

I've seem some standalone systems on Amazon where you you have a wireless mic linked to a usb-c reciever but we want to feed audio directly from the mixer to an iphone.

Dont Iphones have audio ins and outs anymore? There used to be wired headsets which plugged into the standard (but not for much longer) Apple connector.

I don't know this as I have almost nothing to do with Apple products.

Thanks for the ideas. I wonder I we could use THIS combined with THIS

The iphone is used for streaming to YouTube but the audio woul dbe much nicer if taken directly from PA system.

Edited by IA76

The first link should work, be aware it’s expecting a mic level signal so you’ll need a pad to drop the line level audio down from the console.

I don’t think your second adaptor- the usb-c one - will work, it appears to be a headphone output only? Probably best to buy a genuine apple adapter 

I regularly use a Apple camera adapter like this - I find the ones with the pass-through Lightning charging are much more stable to keep the USB device powered - with a Peavey USB-P standard off the shelf USB audio interface for a pair of balanced XLR outs from iPhone. Yes, I didn't expect it to work either but it does fine.

I haven't tested with a standard USB input card but I have some Focusrite Scarletts etc at work tomorrow so will test - do you need stereo input or is mono okay, and what app are you using to record to on iPhone, or are you streaming?

• Upvote 1

I can confirm on an iPhone XR, ios17.1.1 most USB sound cards I connect via that adapter (or one that looks like it at least) do work as inputs & outputs.

Peavey USB-P and ESI U24XL both work hot-swappable with usb cards - U24XL inputs work both L&R in voice recorder

Scarlett Solo USB G3 and Alesis Core1 both work for me as XLR inputs IF the phone is restarted after they are connected - both are stable and seem to record for several minutes as XLR inputs on voice recorder

Behringer UMC404HD I can't make work at all.

Not tested it very throughly, other iPhone and iOS versions may not work, not tested in a show situation and your mileage may vary but if you have any USB devices lying around the USB adapter may be worth a shot.
We have used the USB-P as an output from phone for playback and have found that to be stable.

Also I have had a lot of trouble using lighting-USB adapters without the charging passthrough as the charger seems to power the USB device as well. They sometimes work but often don't.

rig.JPG

screenshot.png

Edited by TomHoward
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, david.elsbury said:

The first link should work, be aware it’s expecting a mic level signal so you’ll need a pad to drop the line level audio down from the console.

The I-Rig featured on the same page is line-level. Bit more expensive but also comes with a headphone jack.

1 hour ago, J Pearce said:

If I get a chance on Monday I'll test my phone with the Interspace USB BalBox at work - it's a really simple class compliant USB audio interface with 2 XLR outs, and is ideal for things like this.

If you could test that it would be great as we have used that box before as well...I'm pretty sure someone on this forum gave me the link to it after the Peavey USB device was discontinued.

Edited by IA76

You can still buy the Peavey USB-P from B&H Photo with international shipping - it just isn’t sold in Europe - I don’t think it’s got CE/GB or whatever certification and it’s FCC marked instead - I’ve always assumed that’s why. The international shipping & tax isn’t that expensive.

are you looking for 2x ins or 2x outs though? As I don’t think either of those devices have any inputs 

3 hours ago, TomHoward said:

You can still buy the Peavey USB-P from B&H Photo with international shipping - it just isn’t sold in Europe

Amazon & Storkz claim to have it in stock at around £80.

I thought I had a Behringer UM2 but I can't find it....

I also saw whilst googling to see if all class compliant cards are supposed to work someone else doing the same thing using a Powered USB hub instead of the powered lightning adapter - so that's another option if you already have the powered hub