Broadcast/commentator headset for wireless (RM) link ??

Keith_

Hi folks,

For a while I have been looking for a cost effective solution for a customer who gives commentries at very noisy motorsports events etc. I have given them a Tecpro headset in the past, but it is wired and I really want to give them the freedom of movement from wireless. The user needs only to hear themself in the phones. Of course I could have separate RM and IEM, but that seems a waste. The intercom sets available all seem to be wired (or seriously expensive digital wireless) and ott. for this. In fact I expected to find an RM transmitter beltpack with an AF output for 'local' phones monitor: that would be ideal. Am I missing something here?

Thanks.

RM & IEM seems the easy way to go, ideally using a lip-mic & beltpack (you might need a transformer (or capacitor) to isolate the usual 5v-ish polarising volts on most beltpack inputs - ribbon mics aren't keen on being fed unbalanced DC). Or you could still use your Tecpro headset, & connect it to RM & IEM beltpacks.

Edited by sandall

There are nicer headsets out there than tecpro. Sennheiser and AudioTechnica both do headsets with mics intended for PA output, and available terminated to jack for heapdhones and xlr for mic.

Add a TX and RX and you’re away. One advantage of IEM for foldback is that it opens up talkback as an option.

3 hours ago, J Pearce said:

There are nicer headsets out there than tecpro. Sennheiser and AudioTechnica both do headsets with mics intended for PA output, and available terminated to jack for heapdhones and xlr for mic.

Add a TX and RX and you’re away. One advantage of IEM for foldback is that it opens up talkback as an option.

This is something we have done on a regular basis, initially at an awards dinner with a guest comedian as presenter, a member of staff was able to guide him through the plethora of complicated titles,

Additionally that amazing facility also adds confirmation to the speaker the RM signal is good, especially if being used for a recording or otherwise can't hear the PA.

I see. The consensus is around what I was thinking of doing, but I am surprised there is nothing simpler. The point you all made about putting extra information on the IEM is a very good one and I will be doing that now I know a separate IEM channel is the way to go. I will put a feed from the walkie talkie link between start and finish onto the desk, sent out on a monitor just for the announcer - then he will know what is going on at both ends (but we will have to make sure he doesn't try to answer those on the other end with his PA mic live). Previously the announcer has had a walkie talkie in his pocket (these are Kenwood TK3501s). More than about 35 years ago I offered one of those Coles lip mics, but these days I haven't enough requirement for that (at the cost of them), but I think I might get a Senn HMD 300 set to upgrade. Thanks for advice from the usual gang.

As for headsets we use HMD 26 or 27 now in broadcast but you may also be able to pick up an HMD 25 that will also do the job.

In the old days before such headsets were available we used to just tape a Sony ECM50 inside a wind gag on a DT100 coms headset. 

We also used these Audio Technica ones on the 2014 Commonwealth games for commentator headsets and they sound great for a ,lot lower cost, you need a large wind gag on most of them though as they can blast a bit when used in close proximity: https://www.audio-technica.com/en-gb/ath-m50xsts?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxevr3ZKAggMVweztCh1jkAqbEAQYByABEgKOUvD_BwE

Edited by GaryNattrass

I'll check it out, Gary, thanks.

In my applications, things have to be able to take some rough handling and be fine outdoors. I put Gutmann 'dead cats' on all my mics (outdoors), for example, so would expect to use one on the wee headset mic.

I particularly like the juxtaposition in the attached photo (if you see what I mean). (Sennheiser MD46 with Gutmann screen on PA duty at a rally).  

Ukraine-fuzzy-mic.png