New Mic purchase advice

Techie-v2

Hi, I have been given a small pot of money for our performing arts department to purchase some now gear and the head of department and myself both think that wireless mics would be the best use for us.

We currently have 3 old shennhiser g2 handhelds which operate on the free license, 863.... We don't often use them as they have been quite unreliable with interference.

I'm looking at getting some with headsets and beltpacks that would be used for our GCSE and A Level exams plus small scale lower school productions and some vocal performances at music concerts.

I've spoken to my usual supplier who's told me to have a look at JTS as a brand.

Ones I have picked out are the JTS RU-8012DB - https://cpc.farnell.com/jts/ru-8012db-ru-g3tb-cm-501-ch38/bp-dual-radio-system-ch38/dp/MP35784?st=Jts wireless

I'm looking to get 2 of these units, so 4 mics in total plus some headsets and license etc.

Can anyone offer any advice as to are they worth it etc, what are the pitfalls....

Thanks

The same really as what you experienced. Sennheiser are the sort of base standard people compare to. JTS are fine as a budget alternative. Downside with the ones I had, and this is five years ago, was the plastic was a bit fragile for heavy handed people, and they’re sort of one off. Forget spares and repairs. If you need second hand replacements ebay provide ample Sennheiser, but JTS will be rare.

Co-channel interference to be honest, depends on where you are, but normally it’s picking frequencies at random generating intermod type interference.  Most other issues are the usual dead spots and antenna problems. Radio mics are always a pain, unless you have somebody skilled to look after them, and operate them. I’ve always thought buying them for schools and colleges is a waste of money, especially when they are rarely kept in fine fettle. They’ll work. But they wont be any better than the Sennheiser, probably worse. I’m guessing the Sennheisers were just randomly plonked on frequencies, with their normal antennas, put in the most convenient place for access to power and cables? They then phutted a lot and cut out as people moved?. Did you break any, or did any bits fall off? 

The shennheisers are still in one piece, just seem to get a lot of interference when we have a room full of people.

I want some headset ones rather than handhelds for drama performances. With any equipment like that, I keep it locked away when not in use, get it out and prepped, it goes on the user, then comes off and straight back to me as soon as the show is over.

Yeah radio mics for a school has always been a case of hire in when needed, but there's so many occasions where people ask me for ones these days where we would get good use out of having our own, and I've been allocated this money as a one off, not out of departments budgets so I think its worth it. The department can't stretch to 200 odd quid to hire a set every time we want to use some. There's 4 sets of exam pieces every year plus 3 music concerts so that's over a grand a year if we hired some every time, which we don't.

Just want to get something that will last if well looked after for the money I have avaliable.

3 hours ago, technician-v2 said:

I want some headset ones rather than handhelds for drama performances. With any equipment like that, I keep it locked away when not in use, get it out and prepped, it goes on the user, then comes off and straight back to me as soon as the show is over.

Go on eBay for some EW G2 beltpacks (you might have to wait and keep an eye) and some £20-a-pop Chinese omni headsets (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304798464789). Then you can mix and match headsets, instruments, lavs, handhelds as you wish. (This is what I've set up at our local community hall). You can still get some spares, like the antennas, for the G2 beltpacks, and changing the antenna is a pretty straightforward job with one solder joint.

If you really want to buy a license then with the G2 band you have, you can get 4 channels in 830-832MHz with the Shared License (reprogram the first 4 channels of the U bank with 830.000, 830.400, 830.900, 831.300).

I'm sure with correct positioning those Sennheiser G2's will be far better than any second-rate stuff you can buy from CPC (because if you mount them in the same place then I bet you'll have the same, if not worse, issues).

Edited by kgallen

20 hours ago, technician-v2 said:

Hi, I have been given a small pot of money for our performing arts department to purchase some now gear and the head of department and myself both think that wireless mics would be the best use for us.

We currently have 3 old shennhiser g2 handhelds which operate on the free license, 863.... We don't often use them as they have been quite unreliable with interference.

I'm looking at getting some with headsets and beltpacks that would be used for our GCSE and A Level exams plus small scale lower school productions and some vocal performances at music concerts.

I've spoken to my usual supplier who's told me to have a look at JTS as a brand.

Ones I have picked out are the JTS RU-8012DB - https://cpc.farnell.com/jts/ru-8012db-ru-g3tb-cm-501-ch38/bp-dual-radio-system-ch38/dp/MP35784?st=Jts wireless

I'm looking to get 2 of these units, so 4 mics in total plus some headsets and license etc.

Can anyone offer any advice as to are they worth it etc, what are the pitfalls....

Thanks

Just an out of the Box thought. - (UK advice)

If you have problems when audience fills up then position the receivers near the stage and use your multicore to send XLR wires back to your mixing desk. Either that or mount your receivers higher up as the audience are blocking the direct signal path.

I am thinking of also purchasing a wireless mic system for my Am Dram group. Its a minefield of tech.

I will probably buy 4 mics for the free channel CH70 and then 4 mic that work in the CH38 licence area. That way we can keep costs down with a 4 channel show, or alternatively purchase a licence if we need more channels.

2 hours ago, Martin Lepley said:

If you have problems when audience fills up then position the receivers near the stage and use your multicore to send XLR wires back to your mixing desk.

Totally agree. Even with raked seating and the control point high up the audience really affects the signal. A snake down to the put the receivers to one side of the stage makes a massive difference. I have a couple of cheap Studiospares snakes on a reel that do the job admirably. 

Not a direct answer, but there are 4 defined frequencies for use in the 863-865MHz band: 863.1, 863.7, 864.1 and 864.9 MHz (from the Canford Audio page here: Canford guide.  If your 3 are on 3 of these then that would be a start.  I have a rack of 4 Sennheiser G2s that are old (with replaced belt pack aerials), but still work reliably in several venues in my area, even though my antenna arrangements aren't great!  The rack does have an antenna splitter in it though which probably helps.

I echo looking out for some G2 transmitters (or full sets) on eBay to supplement what you have, or possibly even some G3 sets. Still decent life in those.

Trantec are also worth looking at as a cheaper but slightly better brand.  I have 10 of those in channel 38 that have been going since the switchover (with some maintenance.....).

20 hours ago, Robin D said:

Totally agree. Even with raked seating and the control point high up the audience really affects the signal. A snake down to the put the receivers to one side of the stage makes a massive difference. I have a couple of cheap Studiospares snakes on a reel that do the job admirably. 

Yeah tbh I have never done that, always thought the recievers should be with me so I can see what's going on. Have a hard wired snake in place in one of our spaces already so will try that sometime.

I can't be sure, but my own experience says the audience problem got much worse with the explosion of folks carrying smart mobile phones. Many these days will be seeking a wifi signal, and in doing so, emit a signal, plus you have maybe a few hundred phones in one place all viewing for a signal. Back in the 90's always had the receivers by the mixer. Same venue, 30 years later, albeit with different kit, if you watch the displays of any mic that was active, as the audience came in, you could see the signal strength drop back. 

If you buy the Sennheiser XSW-1 Instrument set and buy a couple of the cheap CPC headsets you should come out at about the same money as you're not spending on the Sennheiser mic. They're still plastic bodied etc but at least more recognisable.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/sennheiser_xsw_1_cl1_gb_band_instrument.htm

They do make a Sennheiser dual system but rarely does it work out cheaper than 2 singles.
You can also buy the sennheiser handhelds separately - I haven't compared buying an instrument set and adding a handheld cost compared to buying an 825/835 handheld set and adding a belt pack.

HOWEVER as you already have Sennheiser, if tuning is a problem then you'll still need to set them up properly. Stick to the presents - 1-1, 1-2 etc, don't free tune them.

You've never mentioned how you actually deploy your existing kit.  Please don't tell me you simply pull out three receivers, plonk them in a pile by FOH and hope for the best - with audience between your badly interacting antennae and the talent.

Rack them up with an antenna distribution unit and put them close to the talent.  You might well be surprised at how brilliant your kit is.

And as others have said, buy some used beltpacks and cheap headset mics, and you'll be smiling.

2 hours ago, technician-v2 said:

they may want new for added values of warranty etc.

EW G3 and G4 beltpacks (of the same band) will work with your G2 receivers.

(In case anyone else was about to comment, G2 do have pilot tone, it was the G1’s that didn’t).

There's nothing wrong with Sennheiser G2. There are still plenty of systems there out in the wild and working fine. Worth spending a few quid (literally) on replacement antennas if they've had a particularly hard life, and checking that the locking rings on the mini jack connectors are tight. Otherwise, I'd echo the comments of most people above and look at how you're using them instead. If you've not already got antenna distribution and external paddle aerials then use your money available to to get those instead. Nothing you buy new within your budget will be enough of a step up over the existing G2's to make it particularly worthwhile.