Mounting mirror ball motor on a stand

Robin D

I have one of these motors. I need to fit it to a stand for an upcoming event, but it only has small holes around it for fixing to a flat surface. In the venue, I cannot screw into the ceiling etc. 

Has anyone solved the problem of providing a hanging point? I can fashion something out of ply, but is there a better solution please? 

Unscrew the main surface plate from the body, check that there's enough clearance (should be) to the motor inside then drill a 10mm hole in the centre of the plate. Put an M10 bolt thru the hole (with washers) and lock off to the plate with a standard M10 nut (or Nylok if you like).

Screw the plate back onto the body.

That gives you the necessary to stick a hook clamp on and hang from your stand's T-bar.

et Voila!

😄

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ynot said:

Unscrew the main surface plate from the body, check that there's enough clearance (should be) to the motor inside then drill a 10mm hole in the centre of the plate. Put an M10 bolt thru the hole (with washers) and lock off to the plate with a standard M10 nut (or Nylok if you like).

Screw the plate back onto the body.

That gives you the necessary to stick a hook clamp on and hang from your stand's T-bar.

et Voila!

😄

If looking for a temporary solution for hanging it from a tube with hookclamp; use 2 hookclamps and small screws (M3 / M4 ?) through 2 of the holes in the motor and 25mm washers.

You can remove the locking pins from any old small moving head hanging bracket and drill out two holes on either side of the motor back plate and bolt on the bracket. You'll have the centre hole of the hanging bracket to accommodate any type of clamp. I used 2 10MM bolts with lock nuts on either side. A workbench vice and a hammer will solve any issues if the moving head bracket is a little wide for the motor plate.

Hb8a9afae5ecb44cda49ab09f3252601eF.jpg

How big/heavy is the mirror ball, they get heavy as they get bigger. 

www.terralec.co.uk/mirror_balls__pinspots/mirror_ball_hanger_bracket_with_motor___for_balls_up_to_50cm/35487_p.html

is one product, it may be cheaper to buy than fabricate one.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jivemaster said:

How big/heavy is the mirror ball, they get heavy as they get bigger. 

www.terralec.co.uk/mirror_balls__pinspots/mirror_ball_hanger_bracket_with_motor___for_balls_up_to_50cm/35487_p.html

is one product, it may be cheaper to buy than fabricate one.

Yep. Just checked my motor. I would have to drill out three pop rivets, and still unsure if there is room for a bolt head. May well take the easy option. 👍

Something like the old birdcage stands (just as a description, not a recommendation) being a hoop which the cage hung in could be purpose manufactured  so the weight of the motor and ball is directly above the stand pole.

Green ring at the top for the motor to sit in (I've assumed it is one of the round trapizoidal versions), main hoop in black, both ends bent straight down to slide into the top of the pole - will require some sort of shaping/packing for stability, shown red.

One of the items which springs to mind (pun not intended) to build this from is the spring clip used to fasten the lid on plastic barrels. Cover the whole structure with silver duct tape (aluminium foil type) to maintain the shiny ball effect or spray black.

image.png.0824c9f4b38cb6afd625e499e16efca3.png

Edited by sunray

1 hour ago, alistermorton said:

Just such stands appear to be available from the site linked above (mirror-balls.co.uk) 

Blooming typical😡... and actually not a silly price as it includes motor. At the same price is a half ball with motor which wouldn't take much effort to fit atop a stand to put the spots up high.

• 2 months later...