Clutching at straws

sandall

I recently posted about vandalised XSW power switches. Having got the replacement buttons (thanks Stuart) one mic is now sorted. The active bit of the switch is a tiny dished metal disc, which clicks in when pushed down & clicks back when released. Unfortunately the disc in the 2nd mic has lost its mojo & just reverses its shape when pushed. It's not listed on Sennheiser spares list & the church can't afford a new mic, or even a Sennheiser back-to-Germany repair. Now to the topic title - has anyone got, or know of, a dead XSW-1 handheld gathering dust? Doesn't need to be complete, & doesn't need to work, provided that when you push the power button you hear a click. Already tried fleabay & all the dealers I know. IMG_20230719_172913_806.thumb.jpg.450afbd8f7769418506951e7279d3b09.jpg

Edited by sandall

Handhelds (and transmitters in general) tend to be harder to come by second-hand compared to receivers as they're far more vulnerable to breakage and theft. 

It'd be super-janky, but could you short out the power switch contacts, so that the transmitter is live when the batteries are inserted? Far from ideal, but it sounds like they're desperate. 

To take J Pearce's suggestion a little further, as you've already opened up the switch, could you replace the disc with one from a standard tactile switch. They're not difficult to get apart. Not so easy to put back together of course!

Unfortunately it's not really a "switch", just 3 loose parts, held in place by the cap, sitting on a bit of pcb. Dismantling a tactile switch is a thought, but how many would I need to destroy before I found one with a 4mm diam disc with 1mm travel? 

The length of travel won't be important - they're all about 1mm. The diameter will be closely related to the dimensions of the moulding. What are the external dimensions of the existing moulding?

2 hours ago, sandall said:

No, but take off the plastic outer & it well might. Well spotted, thanks. I'll have another chat with the spares man & see if I can persuade him to measure the width.

I've got some. Tell me what you want measuring. PM me if you don't want to pollute this thread.

However I'm sure the plastic bit is probably "quite important", keeping the switch together and holding the contacts apart!

Looked for an assembly diagram for the XSW but didn't find one anywhere 😞 You used to be able to find them for the EW range in order to identify parts and order codes.

Edited by kgallen

The four little plastic lumps on the corners of the switch casing make me think of switches like the Alps SKHW tactile switches. Alps switches are widely copied as well so could be the same pattern of shape and size. You can check if the body of the switch is 6mm square. Difficult to tell size from the photo. https://uk.farnell.com/alps-alpine/skhwala010/tactile-switch-0-05a-12vdc-th/dp/3261809?ost=skhw ALPS ALPINE SKHWALA010 If the switch is smaller than 6mm square then alps have some other tact switches that might replace it.

• Upvote 2

This is a classic 6mm square tact switch. It through hole pcb rather than surface mount which I think the mic has but the guts are the same and it is a 4.5mm disc the same as your photos. They come with different length actuators which is why this one is longer than your example. image.png.d7852fb70a29eb637384ca4131bd22b4.png

Edited by DavePallant

On 7/21/2023 at 4:07 PM, sandall said:

Thanks Dave, certainly looks very similar. I may be sorted thanks to another BR-er, but if not am I just looking for any 6mm tactile switch?

It should be. They are quite cheap but an order might be expensive. Rapid do 6x6mm tact switches £1.70 for ten but post on top will cost. Similarly CPC or Farnell. CPC have 6mm tact switches by Multicomp Pro e.g. SW02471 for 11p each and you can always make up an order value with their 100 off AA batteries!