Simple program and forget lighting control

xllx

This unit from Thomann will allow you to save DMX sequences or scenes in real time from any other DMX controller. It will then just replay what you've saved under a set of push buttons. So long as you have something to create the show in the first place you'll be ok. Perfect for moving lights.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_dr1_dmx_recorder_19_sd.htm

4 hours ago, kerry davies said:

Keep it ultra simple.

Totally agree with that. Ideally I want a wall panel with a dozen buttons each firing a preset, and that's it. No programming buttons, nothing else! I don't mind if we have to take a desk in for programming, so the DMX recorder approach is my favourite at the moment.

On 7/18/2023 at 9:10 AM, Simon Lewis said:

Anytronics have some simple push button scene recall units if you can set the fixtures up with a desk?

https://anytronics.co.uk/anyscene-overview.html

I'm don't know if the same product, installed some 'Anyscenes' a few years ago, consisting of a unit with DMX connections and serial data to button panel / panels.

IIRC had about 12 buttons something like 0-9 and +10 & +20. 

Whole system was way over spec for the situation but very solid and reliable until replaced with something more basic.

If only 4 scene are required our old favourite was Dynalite but not DMX. I doubt the range we used is still available.

The Anytronics Anyscene is a good basic unit if you just need simple preset playback of static scenes.  It is programmed by snapshotting from another DMX source, so it could do moving lights, but obviously the transitions between scenes might be a bit odd as it will just cross fade the DMX channels.  Also if the up/down buttons are used, then you will get strange results from the moving lights.

Artistic Licence also do a similar product, but with more scenes:

https://artisticlicence.com/product/light-switch/

Edited by Martin

My earlier reply was written on my phone and required editing.

I agree the Anyscene's we installed were very good and  proved to be totally reliable albeit a little fiddly for the user having to press several buttons (I've since looked them up and see 0-7, +8 & +16) ie to recall scene 19 required +16 & 3 which is fine for a regular user but for a hall hirer one tends to press loads of buttons to find out what happens. In the situation we installed them in (Consultants spec) being a hotel with multiple meeting rooms with moveable partitions to increase capacity etc, these were not performance spaces as such and Anyscene proved to offer far more than required, a simpler system (less buttons to fiddle with) was eventually installed with panels more like the 5 button Dynalite which was far more appropriate to the situation.

Would I be happy to use the system again? Heck yes, especially now I have gained some more practical experience in the use of DMX systems.