Projector Recommendations

IRW

Hi Folks,

I've been asked to cost up a projector to potentially do a bit of safety-curtain advertising, but I'm a bit out of touch with the latest stuff around!

I've not got the precise measurements to hand, and there's a fitup going on, but for sake of argument, let's say it's an image size approximately 4m by 3m, and a throw distance of 16m, or therabouts. Ambient light (in the way of houselights) is not too obtrusive, but is reasonably present. Projection surface is a white-ish square painted on a canvas-y safety curtain!

Does anyone have any recommendations please, based on my incredibly precise specification above!?

Thanks,

Ian

I can't help directly, but you also need to consider how the projector lamp / shutter will be controlled and how you play back the adverts.   Who is responsible for showing the adverts, it may be fine if you have an in house op, but what if a tour uses their own operator? Is the spill from a black image acceptable or will you need a proper "black out". What happens if the projector isn't lamped on, or worse doesn't get lamped off until the next day? Will these adverts need audio, in which case you'll need a feed into either a permanently installed PA or into the touring desk, that you then need to ensure is left open for the interval.

It may be possible to automate a lot of the process using arduino etc so that pressing a button will lamp on the projector, wait a suitable warm up time then open the shutter, run the VT, close the shutter and finally lamp off. 

Let us know how you get on.

4m by 3m is a 4:3 ratio, whereas almost all video content is now widescreen. 

Who is responsible for producing the artwork for the ads? If it's as simple as slapping up the logo and contact details for a nearby restaurant, being 4:3 won't matter much, but if the advertisers are giving you their own material chances are it'll be 16:9. 

You can get projectors in both 4:3 and widescreen (typically 16:10). There's more choice with widescreen if you are buying new, but if this is being done on a shoestring, an ex-install 4:3 model could be a cheap buy. 

4m wide from a 16m throw means you need a 4:1 ratio on the lens, which puts you in the territory of fairly expensive long-throw lenses. It might be less expensive to rig a standard-lens projector from a FOH bar, if you have any within range. 

1 hour ago, Glyn Edwards said:

I can't help directly, but you also need to consider how the projector lamp / shutter will be controlled and how you play back the adverts.   Who is responsible for showing the adverts, it may be fine if you have an in house op, but what if a tour uses their own operator? Is the spill from a black image acceptable or will you need a proper "black out". What happens if the projector isn't lamped on, or worse doesn't get lamped off until the next day? Will these adverts need audio, in which case you'll need a feed into either a permanently installed PA or into the touring desk, that you then need to ensure is left open for the interval.

It may be possible to automate a lot of the process using arduino etc so that pressing a button will lamp on the projector, wait a suitable warm up time then open the shutter, run the VT, close the shutter and finally lamp off. 

Let us know how you get on.

Funny enough most of these questions were the first things I came up with too 😉. At the moment I’m just doing an initial costing to find out of the idea is vaguely affordable.

58 minutes ago, Stuart91 said:

4m by 3m is a 4:3 ratio, whereas almost all video content is now widescreen. 

Who is responsible for producing the artwork for the ads? If it's as simple as slapping up the logo and contact details for a nearby restaurant, being 4:3 won't matter much, but if the advertisers are giving you their own material chances are it'll be 16:9. 

You can get projectors in both 4:3 and widescreen (typically 16:10). There's more choice with widescreen if you are buying new, but if this is being done on a shoestring, an ex-install 4:3 model could be a cheap buy. 

4m wide from a 16m throw means you need a 4:1 ratio on the lens, which puts you in the territory of fairly expensive long-throw lenses. It might be less expensive to rig a standard-lens projector from a FOH bar, if you have any within range. 

Existing square on the iron is 4:3. Not necessarily anything stopping us from painting a bigger square. I’d be tempted to go for a projector that can do widescreen for future proofing but resize the artwork to fit in the short term, although absolutely nothing is set in stone yet. No closer positions…It’s a big venue 😉

Edited by IRW

In Australia at least,  Panasonic is the brand that excels in a quality for price comparison.  12k single chip would probably be okay at controlled lighting levels of a theatre at walk-in - that seems to be the sweet spot at the moment.  Rrp that's about AU$28k including a 3.58-5.45 lens. So,  competitive bid through an integrator,  would be around 25k.

If you only need to project at show lighting levels you may be able to drop to about 8k lumens which is about 15k rrp inc lens.

Hope that helps. 

Edited by mac.calder