AMX & Queston control protocols

j_b

Does anyone know anything about AMX or queston control systems?

Googling for a while and not coming back with much useful stuff.

Do you mean Crestron?

What do you want to know?

I've done some of the basics, and a colleague has done lots of programming...

Depends how much you want to know. My old ships had AMX all over the bloody place, but my knowledge is as a user, not an installer. The woman they sent out to programme them was a bloody genius with them, though. So, short answer:

What is your exact question? My answer to the one you've asked is "yes, I know something"

Yes, a bit more digging, and it's "crestron" that I'm looking into.

We (at my company) design mixers (among other things) and want to know more about crestron control systems for it, I've now found crestron.com and there's a little info, anyone know anything about the protocols involved?

anyone know anything about the protocols involved?

Basically, these devices have a number of IO modules. They can control other devices via either

RS232 - often used for data projectors etc

Infra-red - a LED connected to the controller sticks over the receiver on the device - often used to control DVD players etc - indeed anything that comes with a remote

Relay -

etc.

If you're lucky, there will already be an existing "personality" for the device you want to control. If not, you'll need to develop one.

To give a specific example, we recently kitted out a large lecture theatre with an AMX system. It controls the data projector (RS232), DVD player (IR) screen (relay) amplifiers (IR) curtains (IR) lights (RS232) audio &video switcher etc etc etc.

Bruce.

Archived