Old Speakers

HMTech

I am currently working on a new production that the designer has incorporated old speakers into the set.  Does anyone know of anywhere in or around London that may have ex-demo or non-functioning speakers that they would be willing to part with?

Or if anyone has any old speakers in their venue currently taking up space that they don't mind giving to a new home?

I am looking for speakers of a decent size that could be sat upon, and will be happy to collect or arrange collection in the London area.

Thanks all

Graham - Technical & Production Manager, Half Moon

17 minutes ago, alistermorton said:

Are you after "domestic" hi-fi style speakers or pro/semi pro style stage cabs? House clearances can be a source of large-ish speaker cabs from old music centres.

I am after pro/semi pro style stage/DJ cabs - I have contacted a few hire companies and music centres on the off chance they may have something, so far no joy, so I thought I would put a shout out on here as well

It's worth keeping an eye on Gumtree / Craigslist and the various Facebook buy and sell groups. I come across quite a few listings along the lines of "I've knackered my back so I'm selling the whole rig". Whether the prices are realistic or not is a whole other conversation...

I'm not sure too many hire companies will have elderly speakers languishing on the shelf. The cost of storage space is such that most companies have to be quite merciless about what they keep. Somebody somewhere probably has a barn of Laney / Peavey / Carlsbro etc. but tracking it down could be tricky, especially if you're on a deadline. 

I have 4 home made speakers, made with 1/2" chipboard specifically to fit in 2 different Venues window cills. about 18x18x9" containing 12" Fane Pop25's covered with black car seat vinyl / black speaker grill cloth with a white fleck. Probably not been used for 20 years.

These were deliberatly made to be lighter weight

I imagine not big enough for your purpose. currently quite buried but will take pics if any interest.

Edited by sunray

20 minutes ago, sunray said:

I have 4 home made speakers, made with 1/2" chipboard specifically to fit in 2 different Venues window cills. about 18x18x9" containing 12" Fane Pop25's covered with black car seat vinyl / blacb speaker grill cloth with a white fleck. Probably not been used for 20 years.

These were deliberatly made to be lighter weight

I imagine not big enough for your purpose. currently quite buried but will take pics if any interest.

image.png.f9bc88480156ad0ab2e938569afc3998.png

I've found these pics which gives a idea.

I'd forgotten the adhesive for the covering reacted with the screw holes filler.

Edited by sunray
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alec said:

If these are just for show, why not just construct props?  Don't need to be particularly resilient, nor functional.  Props could be much lighter, without drivers.

Easier yet, find some old battered flightcases of appropriate size and stick some cheapo plastic speaker grilles on the top?

• Upvote 2