Keeping Cool

cedd

Hi All

Starting this thread as a place for recommendations for fans etc. to keep us all cool. I've just been on a quest to find some suitably subtle cooling for while I was mixing a show in a particularly warm venue. Some of our criteria are a bit different to most consumers so thought it was worthwhile having a thread for. 

I had a few criteria. It had to be subtly quiet - enough to be able to mix a show over the top of. It had to have decent mounting options as my desk only has the dog box and a few vesa arms out in front of me. It had to be easy to power - either a decent AC lead that I could attach a powercon to, or DC off of my 12V or USB supplies I have fitted within the dog box. Preferably black but not a dealbreaker if not. 

I found something that fitted the bill from a surprising place. It was on a JML display in Asda. JML Fan Never bought a JML product before as they've always seemed a bit gimicky, but this seems great.
It's USB rechargeable, reasonably quiet, adjustable speed, has a decent clamp that clipped nicely to the top of one of my vesa mount displays, and is available in black. It's not going to fill a room, but in front of me pointing directly at me, it was just the ticket. 

If anybody else has more suggestions then do share. 

I've seen quite a few people wearing those round-the-neck fans lately and whilst I haven't tried any personally, the reports have been quite good.

Amazon Link

The benefit to these, I'd say, is that it'll always be directing air at your head, rather than you having to sit in the airflow from a desk-type fan. Obviously if you're trying to cool the sweat on your torso that isn't going to work, but maybe a combination of the two might work for you...

One caution if you're going the rechargeable route...
I've been caught out before when an item does NOT work when it's plugged in to recharge... So if your battery dies part way thru a show, you're then without the fan cooling until it's been plugged in a while...

5 minutes ago, Ynot said:

One caution if you're going the rechargeable route...

I've been caught out before when an item does NOT work when it's plugged in to recharge... So if your battery dies part way thru a show, you're then without the fan cooling until it's been plugged in a while...

Buy 2 fans?

• Funny 1

Cut a pair of holes in an ice box (high up on opposite sides is optimal, in line with each other).

Screw one bathroom fan through one hole, with the extraction facing inwards, and another through the other side, with the extraction facing outwards.

Works a treat, very quiet with the fans designed for low noise. Thank me later.

Edited by dje

Fan noise is largely related to speed.

In some circumstances it can be worth use of a large mains voltage desk fan, but run from a 110 volt transformer.  Make certain to use a real transformer as used on a building site, and not any form of electronic converter.

Many suppliers offer 12 volt and 24 volt DC fans intended for use in vehicles. These move a lot of air but tend to be noisy. They are nearly silent on a much reduced voltage and still give a useful air flow.

A fan will not reduce the actual temperature, but will make conditions more comfortable by promoting evaporation of sweat. Remember that this evaporated water needs to be replaced, drink plenty of water. (some medical experts have suggested that use of a powerful fan may "fool" the bodies natural response to heat, and result in dehydration  before feeling thirsty, if you do not urinate at least four times in 24 hours, drink more water)

In hot dry conditions fans are very helpful, less so in hot and humid conditions but still better than nothing. 

Do of course dress sensibly. Light and 100% cotton clothing is best. Avoid poly-anything. White is best if exposed to sunlight or other radiant heat. Colour is irrelevant indoors unless near radiant heat sources.

Home or workplace first aid supplies should include "oral rehydration salts" these are powders or effervescent tablets that when dissolved in water and then consumed help to treat dehydration.

If you go to sleep with a fan running, beware "Korean fan death" google it for details.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, alistermorton said:

Although if he gets diarrhoea at the mixing position he knows now who to turn to. 

Fun fact, immodium pretty much sponsored that particular production. Both cast and crew! 

Was less looking for recommendations and more creating somewhere to share them. 

I went back and bought another of those JML fans, which we recently took camping with us. In a scorching tent they were just the ticket. 

I have a few 18" drum fans for control positions / side stage, and they are much too noisy to leave on in a show, but perfect for the obligatory "Oh! Your biggest fan is here" or "Have you met tonight's biggest fan?" every time you enter a room with one.