Empty 12inch monitor wedge

BigYinUK

8 hours ago, BigYinUK said:

Hi all. 

Any idea where I can buy an empty (unloaded) 12 inch monitor wedge?  New or second hand will do and speaker doesn't have to be working as I'm going to put my own in.

TIA

Several on Ebay at the moment, first hit: 2x12" And Horn Empty Wedge Stage Floor Monitor Speaker Cabinet      4 available

44 minutes ago, BigYinUK said:

@sunray  What did you search for?  I couldn't find anything 1x12"

@Simon Lewis Thanks for that.

I entered 12" monitor wedge & used & uk only, then sorted list as lowest first.

Those doubles are the only empty cabs but a selection of working units are there.

It all depends on what your requirements are, which we don't know much about..

Ok, I'll bite. Why would you want to purchase an unloaded cabinet and replace the driver with one which will, in all likelihood, be an inferior match to the cabinet than the driver it was originally fitted with? I'm guessing you're thinking about removing the driver from a guitar amp, but this seems pointless if you're using a profiler. You'd do much better to just buy a complete wedge fitted with the original driver. 

The Kemper profiling amplifier (KPA) uses a speaker modelling algorithm which only works with a particular type of loudspeaker - either a Kemper "Kone" or not quite so accurately with a Celestion K12H-200TC (which is what I use).  This enables me to save the speaker type as well as guitar amp type to each sound "profile, giving me total control over my sound.  I usually use a 1x12 behind me but I want to try using the speaker in a monitor wedge at the front of the stage.

That's fair enough. Just wanted to make sure you weren't under any illusions that your driver will sound the same in a different cabinet.

You might be better off just putting your existing amp on a tilt stand in front of you. Otherwise, your best bet would be to find a cheap used 12" coaxial monitor, as it's not as if you need the space for a horn. If you aren't fussed about the cab being a little larger (it isn't coax) then you could buy a brand new 12" monitor for barely £75 from Thomann and swap out the driver. 

Edited by electronicsuk

P.S. If you used a regular monitor wedge instead of your amp then you could use the Kemper's direct out into your mixer and have the guitar through your vocal wedge, which is one less cabinet to carry around . That's assuming you carry your own gear and have the time to practice and get used to the different tone that it would provide. 

1 hour ago, electronicsuk said:

P.S. If you used a regular monitor wedge instead of your amp then you could use the Kemper's direct out into your mixer and have the guitar through your vocal wedge, which is one less cabinet to carry around . That's assuming you carry your own gear and have the time to practice and get used to the different tone that it would provide. 

I could indeed do that but the Kone gives a more "live" "amp in the room" sound.

@Andrew C Thank you

Edited by BigYinUK

30 minutes ago, Brian said:

Guitar cabs are normally open backed aren't they? The same driver in a sealed box will sound VERY different to what it does in an open-backed box. Very different.

Guitar combos are often open backed but everything I've used, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12 has always been closed back.  The 1x12 box that I'm currently using is also closed back but ported which makes it sound a bit bigger, more like a 2x12 - (which I have also got actually with 2xK12H-200TCs in).  The Kone and the K12H-200TC use wizzer cones to give an extended HF response compared to a guitar speaker, but not nearly flat 20-20,000Hz etc.