Hearing Loop Recommendations

Monk

Greetings hive mind.

I need some help upgrading a theatre hearing loop system. Currently use a Sennheiser SI 1015 IR system however the coverage is spotty, the headset charging station is terribly designed and has died again. Ive also been informed that Senny are discontinuing their IR kit at the end of the year. So need to find a new system for my 300 seat theatre.

Im reluctant to go down the Sennheiser Mobile Connect route or the WilliamsAV WaveCast routes as my customers are generally older in age and not particularly tech savvy, so relying on them to download apps etc doesnt seem wise to me.

Do any of you have suggestions of other systems I should look at? Its a small auditorium (15m x 15m), raked seating. Im after 5-10 dedicated headsets and a suitable transmitter.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance!

Monk

We use the Sennheiser Tourguide systems for both assisted listening and audio description, which work on RF. Ours sit in the license free portion of C70. We have a mix of stethoscope and bodypacks with neck loop listening devices (which also have 3.5mm sockets for headphones or whatever else the user might have).

(We also have mobile connect in our main auditorium. It's great, very clear, has some onboard processing at the user's end to adjust sound clarity, but ultimately downloading an app and connecting to the correct wifi is usually too much hassle and most users just collect a RF receiver. We're looking at whether we hold some devices in stock and just issue a device instead of working on BOYD - these may also double up as caption tablets too).

Edited by J Pearce
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

We upgraded from our previous Sennheiser IR system to the Tourguide 2020D and in many ways it has been a marked improvement.

Able to remove all the various radiators situated around the auditorium for two transmitters (we broadcast two different feeds); a better quality of sound; able to hire additional headsets from a local supplier when needed for the larger audio descripted shows; and a recent Bluetooth induction loop user was able to use one of the stethosets when she couldn't connect to our array for some of the best sound she has heard at a venue in a very long time. And as far as our users go, there was no functional change from the IR headsets (certainly less than when we upgraded the headsets ten years ago or so).

It is on Channel 70 so we were a little concerned but there is a lot of metalwork in the auditorium walls which helps to mitigate against any interference from external sources (including C70 microphones elsewhere in the building) and the stethosets themselves are noticeably heavier than their IR counterparts (not excessively).

We tried MobileConnect and similar to previous posts, it just wasn't suitable for our space or audience - though I could absolutely see it for a non-live sound broadcast situation with a younger audience. We are in the process of rolling it out to two more venues - however for a third due to open in autumn '23, we are also considering the Listenhear options as they'll interface far easier with the audio network being installed.

We did also check in with Vocaleyes, and our usual freelance describers as well to see what they, and their users, were expecting to receive. Little point in installing a system if it's widely different from what your patrons are presuming they will receive