Decent quality 4 pin mini xlr's

cedd

Hi all

Am looking to do a bulk replacement of my radio mic headset connectors. Have just done the beltpacks but am still having the odd connector related crackle. Isopropanol and a little tweak of the pins with a small screwdriver has helped lots, but I can't help thinking my headset connectors are starting to get a little tired. 

I've bought these REAN ones in the past,which have always seemed ok, but now seem to be the ones that are having the most problems. They've worked hard though so I'm not against replacing like for like. Just wondered if anybody had any experience with any other similar priced ones? CPC seem to have these Pulse ones which seem suspiciously cheap. Switchcraft seems like the only other real option, but as I'm likely to be replacing 30 odd of these things, £11 versus £3 starts to add up. I know you get what you pay for, but I'd be maybe looking to go back to the REAN ones instead unless there are any other similarly budget conscious options out there? 

Thanks all

I find that the REAN ones are better than the Switchcraft ones. One thing I know that the REAN ones hold on the the lead better that the Switchcarft ones. Also the REAN are easier to redo when you need to do them quickly and I find the Switchcraft take a bit more time and are fiddly to do. On the crackle side of things I think they all will do it when they are well used. I have swapped out most the headsets from Switchcraft to REAN because of crackling or the cable coming out a bit to easy.

This is just what I find.

23 hours ago, dmxlights said:

I find that the REAN ones are better than the Switchcraft ones. One thing I know that the REAN ones hold on the the lead better that the Switchcarft ones. Also the REAN are easier to redo when you need to do them quickly and I find the Switchcraft take a bit more time and are fiddly to do. On the crackle side of things I think they all will do it when they are well used. I have swapped out most the headsets from Switchcraft to REAN because of crackling or the cable coming out a bit to easy.

This is just what I find.

I used to install conferencing systems and many of the boundry mics used mini XLR's. Initially we used switchcraft (at ~£8) as that was the spec from an early consultant. As a cost saving we purchased 100 of the pulse from CPC ~70p at the time for 100, may or may not be the same part as linked, terminated very similarly to Switchcraft but went noisy quite quickly.

Random conversation with guy at DV247 recommended REAN (Neutrik) at ~£3.00. Look similar but less fiddly to terminate, we didn't have the short lifespan problem, as DMX mentions the cable clamp works well. 100 price from CPC was ~£1.50

Quite honestly I don't think any of them are really suitable for constant replugging or lots of movement and maintenance has always been regular, for more frequent than XLR of any make but the REAN seemed to come a very close second to switchcraft and at 20% of the price was a no brainer.

Pulse, Multicomp and Pro-signal from CPC all seem to be the same thing.

My pricing is from 20 years back so I imagine doubling isn't out of the question.

The pulse / multicomp go noisy fairly quickly, the Rean version stays silent for very much longer. The pulse version maintains it's latch grip even on worn chassis plugs, however the Rean tends to silently pop out of a worn chassis plug. The best reliability seems to be Rean line sockets and prompt replacement of any worn chassis plugs. I have no experience of the Switchcraft offerings. This is based on 12 years use of around 25 Trantec beltpacks.

Brian

• Like 1

Thank you all. And yes your experiences seem to back up my own. My repaired CPC headset connectors (REAN) seem to have well and truly outlived my Microphone Madness headsets (I'm assuming Switchcraft or an American sourced clone). For the record, the headsets are fantastic, but definitely need reterminating after the 3 or 4 years I've had them. 

I've also seen the REAN's lose their grip on worn sockets, especially on the Line6 2.4GHz beltpacks. The trantecs last a little longer and thankfully are nice and easy to replace. I've just done a bulk replacement of my trantec beltpack connectors so hopefully am good for a few years. The Line6's got done a couple of years ago. 

REAN it is then! At the minute Thomann seem to be the cheapest, so there'll be a box of 30 winging its way from them soon.