telescopic poles

kmk

Hello! I am designing a set for a small venue and am not allowed to screw anything into the walls, floors or ceilings (or hang anything from the grid)! I want to use adjustable height posts, wedged in from floor to ceiling, but the ones that I have are not spring-loaded and I am concerned about their stability. Any ideas on how I could make them super-secure without fixing them with screws? Any ideas much appreciated! Thanks ;)

I'd suggest looking at acro props, as used in construction. These are designed to support walls while doorways are cut into them, and as such can take a heck of a load. They are secured by a screw and pin mechanism in the centre of them.

Similarly, screw adjustable scaffold feet will be a good way of doing this, just place one at the bottom of each pole, and a non-adjustable foot at the top.

Bear in mind that to securely wedge something against a ceiling, you are liable to damage the ceiling. Even if you place some sacrificial wood (scaffold planks) between poles and ceiling. Make sure where you do place a pole is directly under a ceiling support (joist), or you may pierce the ceiling.

I wouldn't use a telescopic pole, as such, unless you can lock it very securely against the structure, as, as soon as you begin to wedge it, it could well collapse...

Why are you not allowed to fix into the building? Or hang from a grid?

In this situation, a wholly ground supported structure may be called for, which isn't wedged, thus creating your own space within which you can do as you please.

This isn't my area of knowledge, I just have a construction background where wedging acro props and similar things is common.

How big is the space you're working with? What is it you're trying to support?

Whatever it is that you are trying to achieve, I'd agree with Mikienorth, and suggest strongly that you don't try and wedge anything between the floor and ceiling, it very rarely works well. Anything you build will have to support itself from the ground, that's the easiest and safest way of doing things.

If its just drapes you are trying to support, can I suggest using this kind of system:

http://www.innovative-sys.com/product_page...e_supports.html

I think the things above are what are known as Barracuda poles by the film and TV lot. Developed for the purpose described. I don't like them because I am that sort of guy who likes proper fixings but they have their purpose. Not to be used with anyone below them.

• 4 weeks later...
The auto-pole system is established in photo and movie studios as a support that clamps into spaces, doorways, windows rooms etc, Long and short ones are available, as are extension tubes. Look on AC lighting inc their bargain page esp under Grip stuff, also look at Leeds Photo in Brunswick Sq London and Teamwork in London by Telecom Tower.

Archived