Small demux units

london sound

I have several 6ch dimmer units all analogue control, my question is are there six output demux units that I can site with each dimmer unit (mostly used for corporate work).

Obviously if too expensive might have to trade in dimmers.

Thanks in advance

Ian

Unless the dimmer manufacturer has a retro-fit module You're likely to pay more for a small demux than a cheap DMX dimmer There are 4 chan 5a DMX dimmer modules for under £100 on the disco market.

On the other hand there are often 24 ish chan demux in the classifieds which would feed a rack full of dimmers.

Elsewhere again, look up XTBA who make boards for DMX of most functions.

You could go for the Zero 88 DMUX 24, handy little unit - and 1U high. Or, a bit more fiddly the Strand S72 - 72 channel DMUX but user a 25 Pin D Type for the out from the back of the unit

These guys, Soundlight have got several unboxed solutions but I guess you'd not be wanting to mess around getting things put into boxes.

The cheapest way is probably going to be with a pile of the Showtec 72-way demux with one per dimmer rack. They are only going to set you back just over £100 each - way cheaper than new dimmers. Yes you will not be using 66 of the channels but hey...

Just been through this at school (rented a lovely LightProcessor rack dimmer to show what digital kit can do). Basically, if your dimmers wont retrofit to DMX or they are separated by a long way, it may end up cheaper buying replacements.

You may well be able to get away with a central demux and a star of cables running out to the analogue packs if they are close ish together. Ugly, but effective and you can usually find cheap second hand analogue cable around somewhere.

• 1 month later...

After looking at the soundlight 6 channel demux, I continued looking round the web for cheaper projects....

I came across this one from elector electronics;

8-Channel DMX Demultiplexer.

I've paid the £1 for the article, which in fairness is pretty detailed. Has anyone else had a go at making this?

£8.50 for a programmed PIC seems somewhat fairer than 28 euros for the pcb. Has anyone persevered with this or found a similar project?

Many thanks

andrew

Archived