Din Analogue to DMX adapter?

Jupton24

Ive recently come across some analogue dimmers where I work and wondering if such thing exists as a din analogue to DMX adapter? or am I worth binning them? I should of thought such things dont exist but it would be great if you could point me in the direction of one. 

Thanks 

You should be aware that there a few different standards for analogue dimmers, the most important of which is whether they require a positive or negative control voltage. Some demuxes can drive either, and some dimmers can accept either but if you try to control a -ve only dimmer with a +ve only demux it won't work.

1 hour ago, themadhippy said:

the magic adaptor is called a d-mux for example  https://www.thomann.de/gb/showtec_multi_exchanger.htm

Actually, I think you’ll find the OP is asking for an analog to DMX adapter, which would be a multiplexer such as this 😛

Although your link would probably work better for what they really want to achieve…!

@Jupton24 , if you can tell us what the make and model of the dimmers is, we could provide some better guidance with regards to @DrV’s comment

• Like 1

Actually, I think you’ll find the OP is asking for an analog to DMX adapter,

yea all depends how you read the question

a din analogue to DMX adapter?

as you say requires a  multiplexer,but

recently come across some analogue dimmers

seems to suggest  they want to get them to work  on DMX

1 hour ago, themadhippy said:

yea all depends how you read the question

as you say requires a  multiplexer,but

seems to suggest  they want to get them to work  on DMX

Sorry, maybe I should have included the <pedant> tags in my reply...Now where's that IEC to 13A cable to plug my desk in...😛

Edited by IRW
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Jupton24 said:

Ive recently come across some analogue dimmers where I work and wondering if such thing exists as a din analogue to DMX adapter? or am I worth binning them? I should of thought such things dont exist but it would be great if you could point me in the direction of one. 

Thanks 

As other folks have said - if you want to control analogue dimmers from DMX then there are some options available - the easiest of which is the Showtec Multiexchanger - it will drive dimmers that need positive or negative going control voltages. The only PiTA is that the outputs on the unit are 24pin D connectors so will need some soldering to make up adaptors (or buy them from 10 out of 10).

If you want a really compact way of doing it then there are some "new build" 6 channel PCB units around that would just need a small case, have a look on eBay.

1 hour ago, ianknight said:

If you want a really compact way of doing it then there are some "new build" 6 channel PCB units around that would just need a small case,

Some years ago I bought a couple of Ben Suffolk's units which can be found on this page;  they were easy to fit and the dimmers are still in use.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sandall said:

Good point Dave. +10v is the usual, but old Strand dimmers used -10v, & not all manufacturers used the same pin numbering. An indication of the make & model (& preferably a photo or two) would help.

Thanks for the advice. Here are a couple of pics. The first pic shows the connector.

PXL_20220304_102702563.MP.jpg

PXL_20220304_102648834.MP.jpg

PXL_20220304_102654299.MP.jpg

PXL_20220304_102657793.MP.jpg

The only PiTA is that the outputs on the unit are 24pin D connectors so will need some soldering to make up adaptor

The hardest bit being the 25 pin  d sub,however you can make life a bit  simpler by buying a fully wired 25 pin to 25 pin lead and chop it in half