Local Temporary Radio Station

AndyJones

Hi all,

we’re planning an event later in the year where I would quite like the option of a local radio station for visitors as they’re driving into site. The site is in the middle of no where, and probably about 5km wide, and 5km long. The event would run for a couple of weeks. What are the laws and practicalities regarding this?

The broadcast content would be made in-house, so copyright wouldn’t be an issue. 

Thanks!

28 minutes ago, AndyJones said:

Hi all,

we’re planning an event later in the year where I would quite like the option of a local radio station for visitors as they’re driving into site. The site is in the middle of no where, and probably about 5km wide, and 5km long. The event would run for a couple of weeks. What are the laws and practicalities regarding this?

The broadcast content would be made in-house, so copyright wouldn’t be an issue. 

Thanks!

I haven't done one for 20 years, Just apply for a license for the band II frequency at Ofcom, after that agree to the stipulations they provide. You may struggle if there is a local radio station in the immediate area. A short while back there was a special trial on offer, I don't know if it's still open or if you'd qualify.

The thing you're looking for is known as a RSL (Restricted Service License). 

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/manage-your-licence/radio-broadcast-licensing/apply-for-a-radio-broadcast-licence

Make sure you're sitting down when you see the license costs. The link above talks about £400 - that's the application fee, not the license cost. if successful, you'd also have to pay the license cost (approx £30 per day) and a Wireless Telegraphy Act license (About 40 a day I think?)

if you're playing any music, you will probably need to pay PPL/PRS/MCPS fees.

You will also need to justify to OFCOM that you are technically competent, and that you are a "fit and proper person".

If, after all that, you still want to go ahead, drop me a line, I know people who can hire you the necessary tx and antenna

• Thanks 1