Troxy London restoration

musht

On 1/25/2022 at 11:52 AM, Dave m said:

I am intrigued to know how much lift a Henry can generate. I force an experiment with a plastic bucket and Henry.

Is there an easy modification to make Henry blow or is it connected to the exhaust?

Are there any plans for this hovercrafts, do they tend to have a skirt or just plywood & 2x1 round the edge?

5 hours ago, TomHoward said:

Is there an easy modification to make Henry blow or is it connected to the exhaust?

You could reverse the motor by reversing the brush connections and not the field winding, or vice versa (but not both). This is how cleaners with a switch for direction worked (I think). Standard Henry cleaners don't have such a switch on them, I don't know if they do one which does.

Depending on the design of the blower, it may not work as well in reverse, in which case keeping the air flow normal and connecting to the exhaust may be better - but is a faff because they normally have two exhaust grilles!

Thinking about it,  you don't need to reverse the troupe of Henrys. Imagine you have a box, with holes in the bottom but otherwise sealed,  and a load of Henry cleaners in the box but with their hoses poking out through the side or top of the box, with a seal around. Then they would suck air in from outside and pressurise the box, causing the air to escape via the holes in the bottom and generating lift. 

• Funny 1

7 hours ago, alistermorton said:

Thinking about it,  you don't need to reverse the troupe of Henrys. Imagine you have a box, with holes in the bottom but otherwise sealed,  and a load of Henry cleaners in the box but with their hoses poking out through the side or top of the box, with a seal around. Then they would suck air in from outside and pressurise the box, causing the air to escape via the holes in the bottom and generating lift. 

Paging @bigclive! If I had time, I'd be tempted to have a go at this myself!

All the talk of hoses will reduce the evectivenes.

image.png.144db6eb84d5fc417e1417b773f707c5.png

Brown wooden box with a hole for the 'suck' part of Henry to poke through, mount Henry inside. This is effectively how the first BT hovercrafts were made.

Except those used aquavacs and the motor was easily inverted on the original lid, the bottom of the bucket was then cut off.

Take the top off the red bin type part. Mount the black motor housing upside down under a grill inside a box that is open to the bottom. It will now suck air down from above, ejecting to the side port and pressurising the air inside the box.

It will probably also overheat, but don't let that spoil your floaty enjoyment.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, alistermorton said:

Henry suck point is from the side of the barrel, so you'd need to mount them poking through the sides, but that could work.

Excuse my crude sketch but this is the basic format of a Henry

Do away with the barrel/bin (black) completely and invert motor unit (red).

image.png.490ac2f3d36d7c362c7efae10c976d4d.png

Mount inside the hover box as in my previous post.

the original BT version were these:                          the motor unit simply unscrewed off the lid and the bucket was cut in half

image.png.2ee1a242d808c9a3f3b3a069eda8ee00.png                 image.png.c6b03af4370b926e951254883a87be31.png

the base of the bucket had a hole cut in it to match the hole in the lid and the motor was fitted inside, so all that stuck out of the bottom was the part the paper filter fitted on and the whole thing was inverted.