Zero88 Jester Power Supply

Brian

Does anyone know if the Jester (a 12/24 if it matters) actually uses the 12V feed? I know that the Juggler, which is supplied with the same PSU, doesn't.

I've just run one up on only 5V and it seems to work. The one set of schematics I don't have, which would answer the question, is for the CPU card.

I've just had a look at the schematics I have too and can't see the 12v rail being used - I'm not sure that schematics were ever released for the CPU card (in the same way that they were never released for the STmain and Solution CPU's).

I suspect the 12v rail is there for the desk lamp socket on the Frog (& later Solution) Series of desks as well as on the Illusion series - it was cheaper to source & supply one PSU as the "universal PSU" than try to carry supplies and stocks of 3 different types.

Historically, I think there were issues around the Alcora/Elara series when they produced the Mk 2's - the analogue card needed a separate supply rail to generate the +10v rail but the desks were supplied with a single rail supply whereas the MK 1's had the ugly wall wart PSU that had twin voltage rails.

15 hours ago, Brian said:

Thanks,

a look inside shows the 12V input appearing on an unpopulated 2-pin connector. There is 'something' connected to the rail as I measure something with the meter but I've not tracked it down,

Don't forget that the Jester CPU was the first with an ARM processor - the board might have been intended to use inside another desk that never materialised when the Orb series was re-worked, the connector might be there but it doesn't mean the 12v rail is in use inside the desk.

This is starting to remind me of a school system where they had (IIRC) a Jester 12/24 and a TL wih a screen connected (Hopefully TL is a thing) with seemingly identical powersupplies, Except they were labled for each device and wouldn't work if plugged into the wrong device.

Now this is where I'm really clutching at straws, do I recall they use din plugs for the PSU and one pin was bent over.    If that is so then could it indicate one device uses 12V and the other doesn't?

I'm digging this out of the grey matter from far enough back that I could be hopelessly out of kilter.

17 hours ago, sunray said:

This is starting to remind me of a school system where they had (IIRC) a Jester 12/24 and a TL wih a screen connected (Hopefully TL is a thing) with seemingly identical powersupplies, Except they were labled for each device and wouldn't work if plugged into the wrong device.

Now this is where I'm really clutching at straws, do I recall they use din plugs for the PSU and one pin was bent over.    If that is so then could it indicate one device uses 12V and the other doesn't?

I'm digging this out of the grey matter from far enough back that I could be hopelessly out of kilter.

As far as I remember - the Jester range all used 4 pin XLR's - again following the "universal" power supply concept. The same PSU could be used on Frog/Fat Frog, Leapfrog/Solution, Illusion 500 & Jester. The Frog 2 PSU was chunkier because that desk drew more current on the 5v rail (and it had a power switch). The Diablo used a locking DIN for it's PSU I think - it was a half way house between the Alcora/Elara & Jester - it was also sold badged by American DJ or Chauvet (can't remember which).

Not sure why two desks from the same range needed separate PSU's - the CPU might he slightly different to accommodate the extra LCD's and encoders - but this is probably limited to an additional header for these to plug in to and that's it.

There's often some odd "folklore" in schools/colleges around the more complex desks - my most memorable was the college that had all 30 brand new Selecon LED's operating off two faders from a Solution - apparently the desk wasn't capable of handling all 30 fixtures... until I supplied them with a patch & showfile that "unlocked" them all. Just goes to show that Acme AV Services might be fab at projectors but like Disco Dave's Technical Services - they're rubbish at lighting technology :P

1 hour ago, ianknight said:

As far as I remember - the Jester range all used 4 pin XLR's - again following the "universal" power supply concept. The same PSU could be used on Frog/Fat Frog, Leapfrog/Solution, Illusion 500 & Jester. The Frog 2 PSU was chunkier because that desk drew more current on the 5v rail (and it had a power switch). The Diablo used a locking DIN for it's PSU I think - it was a half way house between the Alcora/Elara & Jester - it was also sold badged by American DJ or Chauvet (can't remember which).

Not sure why two desks from the same range needed separate PSU's - the CPU might he slightly different to accommodate the extra LCD's and encoders - but this is probably limited to an additional header for these to plug in to and that's it.

There's often some odd "folklore" in schools/colleges around the more complex desks - my most memorable was the college that had all 30 brand new Selecon LED's operating off two faders from a Solution - apparently the desk wasn't capable of handling all 30 fixtures... until I supplied them with a patch & showfile that "unlocked" them all. Just goes to show that Acme AV Services might be fab at projectors but like Disco Dave's Technical Services - they're rubbish at lighting technology 😛

The XLR makes sense.

It's always difficult to know where to pitch school installations, they often want more than is realistic; for the physical area or the power supply (one 'consultant' had spec'd 128 channels of dimming and fittings mostly in the 1.2KW size on only 4 6metre IWB's. The main intake was only 200A 3ph with no spare capacity on the DNO network). Trying to pull them down from the expectation can be very difficult then when they see the reduced system their eyes come out on stalks.

Often the members of staff who will be using the kit are not included in the consultation etc and the only people included in the final choice between the 3 or 4 estimates are the bean counters. One junior school we went to survey the only member of staff we met only knew they required a 'microphone system' and access to any of the staff did not happen until installation when we found it was not what they were requiring.

The problem I find is only one member of staff has a clue how to operate a desk (Lights or sound) and the tangle of installation is not documented. When they leave someone is called in to sort out the mess, this often includes adding more, and often very unnecessary, kit and a briefing to a member of staff who may or may not understand etc.

Edited by sunray

22 hours ago, sunray said:

Often the members of staff who will be using the kit are not included in the consultation etc and the only people included in the final choice between the 3 or 4 estimates are the bean counters. One junior school we went to survey the only member of staff we met only knew they required a 'microphone system' and access to any of the staff did not happen until installation when we found it was not what they were requiring.

The problem I find is only one member of staff has a clue how to operate a desk (Lights or sound) and the tangle of installation is not documented. When they leave someone is called in to sort out the mess, this often includes adding more, and often very unnecessary, kit and a briefing to a member of staff who may or may not understand etc.

In my previous "incarnation" with CTS - we usually found it was a well meaning parent who spec'd the kit in smaller schools or an IT technician who'd spent an afternoon "googling" kit (which proved interesting) - sometimes it was a drama teacher who just didn't really have a clue. As Hire/Service Manager it was often left to me do the handover training or refresher training - the good days were those when I sat down at the new desk with a bemused/confused teacher or technician, showed them how it all worked and that they didn't need us on site every week :)

Sadly, I left back in 2017 just as FLX was making it's mark (before then it was Jester, Solution or CT Incognito) - patching a couple of small moving heads & a dozen or hex LED's is a lot easier and useable on the FLX :)